Yeyep is Your Go-to Source for All the Latest Entertainment News, from Movies and TV Shows to Music and Fashion.
⎯ 《 Yeyep • Com 》

Joel McHale opens up about being home during SAG-AFTRA strike, says 'it sucks' when he can't 'act all the time'

2023-10-12 10:17
Joel McHale also talked about his role as Johnny Cage in 'Mortal Kombat Legends: Cage Match' and about his love for the video game series
Joel McHale opens up about being home during SAG-AFTRA strike, says 'it sucks' when he can't 'act all the time'

LOS ANGELES, CALIFORNIA: Joel McHale reportedly does not have much on his plate these days amid the SAG-AFTRA strike and mostly stays indoors.

“My family keeps bumping into me in the house, going, ‘Who are you and what are you doing here?’ There’s been a little more downtime,” the comedian joked.

He then drew the comparison with actors, “I'm like most actors where it's an affliction, where you want to do it all,” McHale said.

The 51-year-old has two sons, Edward, 18, and Isaac, 15, with his wife of nearly three decades, Sarah Williams. “You want to act all the time, and when you can't, it sucks.”

He’s been keeping himself busy with stand-up comedy gigs as well as promoting his new project 'Mortal Kombat Legends: Cage Match', an animated movie that is not part of SAG-AFTRA’s struck work, which is based on the video game series.

What does Joel McHale do these days?

The 51-year-old talked about his upcoming animated film and his stand-up comedy gigs in an exclusive interview with People.

In 'Mortal Kombat Legends: Cage Match', he will be seen playing the protagonist, Hollywood actor Johnny Cage, who is trying to look for his missing costar.

Set in the 1980s in Los Angeles, the flick features ‘Dirty Dancing’ and ‘Ferris Bueller’s Day Off’ icon Jennifer Grey as the missing woman, going by the name Jennifer in the film too. However, McHale and she have never come across each other.

“I refused to ever meet any costars,” he joked. Talking about what he likes enough about the role to voice it for the fourth time, McHale noted, “It’s made for adults,” adding, “We can swear. It’s violent. I like how over-the-top it is.”

What McHale liked most about his latest project?

On this project, he only does voice-over and shares its benefits. “Sweatpants, bare feet, usually soiled T-shirts, so there's that,” he joked.

Apart from that, he said, “I don't control any of the other parts, but they let me improvise a lot, which was cool.”

He continued, “And some of it was really awful, and they just kind of smiled at me and went, ‘No, no, no. It's really funny. It's great. Right? We're all in agreement? Anyway, could you say the line?’”

On his fascination with the video game, the star said, “I'm an old man now, so my kids can play. It's like walking onto a basketball court with a bunch of 18 year olds, where you're like, ‘Oh, right. I don't move as fast.’ So they humor me. It's great.”

Tags news