Yeyep is Your Go-to Source for All the Latest Entertainment News, from Movies and TV Shows to Music and Fashion.
⎯ 《 Yeyep • Com 》

'Think before speaking': Internet unconvinced by Julianna Margulies' apology for accusing Black and queer people of antisemitism

2023-12-02 16:51
Julianna Margulies has apologized for her offensive remarks against Black and LGBTQ people but it may be a case of 'too little, too late'
'Think before speaking': Internet unconvinced by Julianna Margulies' apology for accusing Black and queer people of antisemitism

NEW YORK CITY, NEW YORK: Actress Julianna Margulies has issued an apology statement after facing backlash over her offensive comments about Black and LGBTQ supporters of Palestine on the November 21 episode of Andy Ostroy's podcast 'The Back Room'.

The Emmy Award winner unleashed a rant against the two minority communities' members for supporting Palestine in the ongoing Israel-Hamas war. The audio clips from the podcast went viral on X, leading to many criticizing her for inflammatory remarks against Black people and the LGBTQ community.

Julianna Margulies is 'horrified' by the reactions to her statement

The 57-year-old actress issued her apology statement via Deadline on December 1, a day after the backlash began.

"I am horrified by the fact that statements I made on a recent podcast offended the Black and LGBTQIA+ communities, communities I truly love and respect. I want to be 100% clear: Racism, homophobia, sexism, or any prejudice against anyone's personal beliefs or identity are abhorrent to me, full stop," said Margulies, who plays an LGBTQ journalist in 'The Morning Show'.

She ended the short statement by saying: "Throughout my career I have worked tirelessly to combat hate of all kind, end antisemitism, speak out against terrorist groups like Hamas, and forge a united front against discrimination. I did not intend for my words to sow further division, for which I am sincerely apologetic."

What was Julianna Margulies controversial statement?

Throughout the interview, Margulies emphasized how she has always supported marginalized communities, saying she was the "first person to march [for] Black Lives Matter" and "made a commercial for same-sex marriages" with her husband in 2012.

She further criticized these communities for not supporting Jews and Israel in the conflict. However, certain statements infuriated people.

The actress stated that the "entire Black community" may have been "brainwashed to hate Jews" and warned what would happen if an LGBTQ person "stepped foot in an Islamic country."

She said, "it's those people that will be the first people beheaded and their heads played with like a soccer ball. Like a soccer ball on the field. And that's who they're supporting? Terrorists who don't want women to have their rights? LGBTQ people get executed."

Internet slams Julianna Margulies despite her apology

Netizens are not ready to accept Margulies' apology; many think it is not genuine and might be a PR strategy so as to not get 'canceled' after her remarks prompted outrage.

Many reactions on X suggested the actress be mindful of whatever she is saying publicly.

One user said, "Always think before speaking."

Another user stated, "Apologies not accepted."

"One of the reason why you need to think before acting and she's old enough to know that," a third user added.

A fourth user said, "Be mindful of your utterances always."

"That's not an apology, that's a PR clean up," stated one user.

Some users felt that what she said was not an apology but just a mere statement.

One user said, "It's telling that in the statement above she doesn't feel bad for what she said, but that groups she felt connected to were offended by what she said. It feels like she felt she was spitting truth and was surprised at the backlash."

"'I'm horrified... that my statements offended the Black and LGBTQIA+ communities...' is not an apology," added another user.

Tags news