Yeyep is Your Go-to Source for All the Latest Entertainment News, from Movies and TV Shows to Music and Fashion.
⎯ 《 Yeyep • Com 》

'The Idol' star Lily-Rose Depp reveals why she doesn't 'want to be defined' by dad Johnny Depp and other men in her life

2023-05-30 14:18
Lily-Rose Depp talked revealed that her relationship with her dad Johnny Depp and romance with A-list actors had overshadowed her acting career
'The Idol' star Lily-Rose Depp reveals why she doesn't 'want to be defined' by dad Johnny Depp and other men in her life

LOS ANGELES, CALIFORNIA: Lily-Rose Depp has been under the radar of media and controversies for her new HBO series ‘The Idol’, which is set to release on June 4, 2023. Although the show did humor its audience with a dark-thriller-themed plot, and even received a five-minute standing ovation at the 2023 Cannes Film Festival, especially for Lily-Rose’s performance, the actress faced continuous criticism for the disturbing content, including drug use, nudity, and explicit sex.

In ‘The Idol’, Lily-Rose portrays as a pop star who regains her way to success after she meets a nightclub cult leader called Tedros (The Weeknd). The 24-year-old daughter of ‘Pirates of the Caribbean’ star Johnny Depp and French singer/actress Vanessa Paradis was the eye of a storm over her performance in ‘The Idol’. Although she grew up in the shadow of her renowned parents, Lily-Rose is no modest petal. After being publicly criticized for either showing her affection to her girlfriend rapper 070 Shake, speaking about her sexuality, and her anorexia battle, or hitting back for being called a nepo baby, Lily-Rose never backs down. Recently, she talked about her relationship with her father Johnny Depp, and romance with A-list actors that overshadows her acting work as she said she “doesn’t want her life to be defined by men”.

RELATED ARTICLES

‘Was never my dream’: Johnny Depp on why he did not want daughter Lily-Rose to become an actress

Johnny Depp thinks Lily-Rose has his 'vibes' as he dubs 070 Shake relationship 'super cool'

‘Everyone labeled me as gay'

Lily-Rose Depp stays out of commentary limelight when it comes to her private life in interviews as her upbringing around A-list actors taught her that “privacy is important”. Moreover, she revealed that she and her brother Jack were well-protected by their parents. She said, “My parents protected my brother and me from it as much as possible. I know my childhood didn’t look like everybody’s childhood but it’s also the only thing that I know,” according to The Sun.

Additionally, when Lily-Rose was seven, she was admitted to the hospital after contracting a life-threatening E-Coli infection. To this, Johnny responded, “I lived in the hospital for three weeks with my kid, not knowing if she was going to make it or not.”

Later, Lily-Rose landed a modeling role with Karl Lagerfeld at the age of 15 and became the face of Chanel. She also suffered from anorexia and was trolled for her weight. She said, “It hurts a lot and depresses me. I have battled an eating disorder for a long time and am very proud of the results that I have achieved.”

After battling anorexia, she hit the headlines at the age of 16 for her sexuality. She posed for photographer iO Tillett Wright for a project called ‘Self Evident Truths’. She later revealed that after she took part in the project, “everyone labeled me as gay”. She continued, “That’s not what I was trying to say. I did that literally just to say you don’t have to label yourself, and then everyone was like, ‘Lily-Rose Depp comes out as gay.’”

In response, her dad Johnny said that her gender versatility didn’t surprise him, adding, “I already knew because she tells me everything, she’s not afraid to say anything to me. We’re super tight and I’m very proud of our relationship. Lily’s really together. She’s a sharp kid and one of the smartest human beings I have ever met.”

Lily-Rose’s A-list romance

While Johnny Depp was battling ex-wife Amber Heard in court, Lily-Rose has had her high-profile romances. She dated ‘The King’ star Timothee Chalamet for two years after meeting him on the set. In April 2020, both had a passionate display of romance on a yacht during a trip to Italy. After that, she took on her romance with ‘Elvis’ actor Austin Butler as they were spotted kissing in the street in London. However, their relationship dwindled quickly. Then, she sparked a romance with French rapper Yassine Stein for a year.

Lily-Rose doesn’t talk much about her romances with men, however, she giggled publicly with her new love 070 Shake. She also confirmed her relationship with her.

Despite her sparkling romances, she complained that her love life with A-list actors and her relationship with Johnny had overshadowed her acting work. She said, “I feel like for a lot of my career, people have really wanted to define me by the men in my life, whether that’s my family members or my boyfriends. People are going to have preconceived ideas about you or how you got there. I can definitely say that nothing is going to get you the part except for being right for the part. The internet cares a lot more about who your family is than the people who are casting you in things. Maybe you get your foot in the door, but you still just have your foot in the door. There’s a lot of work that comes after that. If somebody’s mum or dad is a doctor, and then the kid becomes a doctor, you’re not going to be like, ‘Well, you’re only a doctor because your parent is a doctor’. It’s like, ‘No, I went to medical school and trained.’”