Yeyep is Your Go-to Source for All the Latest Entertainment News, from Movies and TV Shows to Music and Fashion.
⎯ 《 Yeyep • Com 》

How did Pamela Blair die? ‘All My Children’ Daytime Emmy Nominee dead at 73

2023-07-25 19:48
Pamela Blair is known for appearing as Val in the original 'A Chorus Line'
How did Pamela Blair die? ‘All My Children’ Daytime Emmy Nominee dead at 73

PHOENIX, ARIZONA: One of the original cast members of ‘A Chorus Line’, Pamela Blair, who was famous for playing Val, died on Sunday, July 23. Born on December 5, 1949, Blair was 73 at the time of her death. In 1984, Blair married actor-director Don Scardino but later divorced in 1991. While she spent a few years in New Jersey, before her death she relocated to Arizona where she owned Therapeutic and Myofascial Massage Studio for athletes.

Blair is known for the extremely popular song ‘T&A’ for ‘A Chorus Line’ which praised the significance of plastic surgery. Val’s character was said to be drawn from Blair’s life except for the plastic surgery part. In the song Blair, dressed as Val introduced, “I was ugly, homely, skinny, unattractive and flat as a pancake,” before adding, “Get the picture?”

How did Pamela Blair die?

Blair died at her home in Phoenix, Arizona on Sunday, July 23. Deadline reported that the ‘Sabrina the Teenage Witch’ actress was suffering from a prolonged illness. The news of Blair’s passing has been brought to the public's attention by many of her friends and co-stars. Her ‘A Chorus Line’ co-star Baayork Lee wrote on Facebook, “I am very sad to say my Sagittarian sister Pam Blair has gone to play with her [A Chorus Line] colleagues among the clouds.” Lee who shared a December 5 birthday with Blair, further added, “You are free now Pammie so dance, dance, dance among the stars.”

Another friend of hers, Scott Withers said, "This is posted with a heavy heart. Pamela Blair has passed away. Pam was at home, surrounded by loved ones. Thank you for all of your prayers and support over the years. We will post information on when and where she will be buried tomorrow," per Broadwayworld.

From Broadway to Hollywood

From 1968 to 1989, Blair appeared in a number of American theaters where she essayed several important characters. In 1968, she debuted with ‘Promises, Promises’ and went on to play Sugar Kane in 1972’s ‘Sugar’. Blair then appeared as Curley’s wife in ‘Of Mice and Men’ in 1974. One of the greatest hits of her career came in the next year with Val in ‘A Chorus Line’ which she has been a part of, right from its inception. Her other notable works include ‘The Nerd’, ‘A Few Good Men’ and ‘The Best Little Whorehouse in Texas’. In ‘The Best Little Whorehouse in Texas’, she appeared in the lead role of Miss Mona which was directed by Michael Barnard.

Not only as a stage actor, Blair carved her niche as an accomplished soap and film actress too. She appeared as Annette in 1982’s ‘Annie’, Dawn in ‘Mighty Veronica’. She was a part of the Greek chorus in Woody Allen’s ‘Mighty Aphrodite’. Her last appearance in movies was as a doctor in 2003’s ‘21 Grams’ which also starred Sean Penn and Benicio del Toro in pivotal roles. She also appeared in ‘Before and After’ with Liam Neeson. Blair was an accomplished soap opera actress with making appearances in shows like ‘Loving’, ‘Ryan’s Hope’ and ‘Another World’. She received a Daytime Emmy nomination for ‘All My Children’.

'Dancers don’t die, they go on tour'

Tributes poured in for the talented dancer and actress with one fan commenting, "Geoffrey Holder said “Dancers don’t die, they go on tour”," under Lee's Facebook post. Another said, "Heavy heart. Hugs and love to Pam’s fam and all who knew her." Actress Taryn Darr said, "I was lucky enough to be Val twice, and I loved learning all about her and her ACL journey. Such a talent. Condolences, Baayork Lee."

The official Twitter account of the late 'Chorus Line' composer Marvin Hamlisch wrote, "We are saddened to hear that Pamela Blair, the original "Val" in A Chorus Line, has passed away. The character was loosely based on her own life, and she was a part of the musical from the very first workshop. Our thoughts are with her loved ones and fans."

Someone else said, "The original “Val” from A Chorus Line has passed away. She was an amazing actress. She performed the T&A song. It’s a great musical and I encourage you to see it if you haven’t. Broadway is a bit dimmer, tonight."