Yeyep is Your Go-to Source for All the Latest Entertainment News, from Movies and TV Shows to Music and Fashion.
⎯ 《 Yeyep • Com 》

Drug addict to Recovery Consultant: Peek into controversial life of 'Big Brother' 9 winner Adam Jasinski

2023-08-03 06:49
'What I do every day is what keeps me sober, aftercare is what matters,' Adam said about his rehab stint
Drug addict to Recovery Consultant: Peek into controversial life of 'Big Brother' 9 winner Adam Jasinski

DELRAY BEACH, FLORIDA: Before Adam Jasinski's drug-related odyssey dragged him down, the winner of 'Big Brother' in 2008 appeared to have it all. What came next was both a story of drug addiction and a message of hope for others who battle substance use disorders. Outwardly, Adam had a fantastic 2008. He just received a half-million-dollar prize for winning the reality television show. So, what happened to Adam, one of the most controversial 'Big Brother' contestants?

Adam was introduced to viewers during 'BB' Season 9, which was also the first and only winter/spring edition of the show. Adam was a 29-year-old public relations manager from Delray Beach, Florida, at the time.

What happened to Adam Jasinski after 'Big Brother'?

Adam stayed low in the early weeks of 'BB' Season 9 but eventually won the big prize of $500,000 and a motorcycle. Few of his friends and family were shocked that he won, despite being described by his brother as a salesperson and a hustler. Throughout it all, Adam kept a secret: he was a drug addict. He spent most of his reward money on medications. He was jailed just a year after winning big on 'BB' for attempting to sell 2,000 oxycodone tablets. The bad news is that he received a four-year jail term. The good news is that Adam is now 14 years sober and helping others get sober.

Adam had been struggling with a substance use issue for years by the time he appeared on 'BB' in 2008. He used marijuana practically daily as a youngster. Adam thereafter took and abused whatever substance he could get his hands on, including heroin, LSD, and cocaine. "Everything was always up and down; things would seem to go well for a while when I was partying, and then I would crash. I would use it for a while, then be clean, but every single time I went back to using it was worse than before," Adam reflects on his early drug usage. Adam had an untreated bipolar condition for years, and he tried to self-medicate with his drug use. After earning the 'BB' prize money, accessing these deadly drugs got considerably simpler.

Adam invested part of the $500,000 in real estate, but he acknowledges that he spent most of it on drugs. He quickly realized he had enough money to buy large amounts of narcotics and sell them for a profit. This is how Adam went from being a 'BB' winner to becoming a heroin dealer, and how he hit rock bottom in the process.

It wasn't long before Adam's drug dealings drew the attention of the Drug Enforcement Administration. Adam was arrested in 2009 after attempting to sell 2,000 oxycodone tablets to a DEA informant. He entered a guilty plea and was sentenced to four years in prison. It turns out that this sequence of events helped Adam change his life for the better.

Where is Adam Jasinski from 'Big Brother' now?

Adam paid a $200,000 bond after his arrest in order to attend an inpatient drug treatment program. This may have been the finest decision of his life, possibly saving his life. "Everyone says rehab doesn’t work. Rehab totally works, what doesn’t work is what happens afterward. What I do every day is what keeps me sober, aftercare is what matters," Adam said about his rehab stint. This drug recovery program provided Adam with the expert assistance he required. He learned to accept his mistakes in the past and to prevent triggers for future drug usage. Adam also concentrated on his mental wellness. His dual diagnosis may have contributed to his previous indiscretions, but it did not prevent him from turning his life around.

Adam has now been clean for over 14 years. He did not go down the path that his drug experimentation had led him. Instead, the reality show contestant utilized his arrest and jail time as a learning lesson and a watershed moment in his life. "It took a catastrophic event and a healthy prison sentence to change him. Before his arrest, he thought he was untouchable," Adam's brother, Jared Jasinski, told Today.

Adam is utilizing his life experience to assist others who are dealing with similar substance misuse problems. He has published a popular book for parents coping with addicted children called 'My Kids on Drugs, Now What?' He has also created a workbook for teenagers and young adults battling addiction and volunteers as a mentor at a drug addiction treatment center. Adam's drug journey may have been a gradual one, especially given that he has fought drug addiction since a young age. Later in life, money did not solve his issues; in fact, it most likely exacerbated them. But, in the end, Adam learned from his life experience, went to rehab, and is now a better person for it.

'Big Brother' returns with Season 25 on August 2, 2023, at 8 PM ET on CBS.