Yeyep is Your Go-to Source for All the Latest Entertainment News, from Movies and TV Shows to Music and Fashion.
⎯ 《 Yeyep • Com 》

'Sex and the City' feud saga: Timeline of Sarah Jessica Parker and Kim Cattrall's years-long beef that continues unabated

2023-06-22 13:52
Sarah Jessica Parker and Kim Cattrall's long-standing feud added a layer of drama to the beloved 'Sex and the City' franchise
'Sex and the City' feud saga: Timeline of Sarah Jessica Parker and Kim Cattrall's years-long beef that continues unabated

LOS ANGELES, CALIFORNIA: HBO comedy-drama 'Sex and the City' still holds a special place in the hearts of many fans. The series explored themes of love, relationships, friendship, and personal growth, captivating viewers with its witty dialogue and relatable storytelling. The talented cast portrayed their roles brilliantly, earning the show a dedicated following that continues to gush over 'SATC' even today. However, the years-long feud between Sarah Jessica Parker and Kim Cattrall, and their tumultuous relationship both during the show's run and afterwards, remains a well-known aspect of the show's history.

‘Sex and the City’ starred Sarah Jessica Parker as Carrie Bradshaw, Kim Cattrall as Samantha Jones, Kristin Davis as Charlotte York, and Cynthia Nixon as Miranda Hobbes. However, Kim Cattrall is reportedly missing from the iconic hit show’s spinoff series ‘And Just Like That’ which is set to air its second season on June 22. Cattrall has starred in every reboot except ‘And Just Like That’ with the feud growing so bad that Cattrall involvement was ruled out. But then, in a shocking development, it was revealed that Cattrall is returning for a cameo for the finale episode of ‘And Just Like That’. Although Parker denies any bad blood from her side, we’re taking a glimpse at a timeline of public statements involving both women.

May 30, 2008

The release of the first 'Sex and the City' movie in 2008, four years after the series finale, was reportedly delayed, with rumors suggesting that Kim Cattrall played a role in the prolonged process. The rumored reason behind the delay was her desire for a higher salary. It is worth mentioning that during this time, the franchise that relies heavily on "It" fashion items had also been occupied with other tasks, such as nailing bag accessories that suited Jennifer Hudson's character.

June 4, 2008

In an article for Marie Claire, Cattrall directly addresses the notion that she caused delays as a demanding diva. She explains that “Four years ago I was going through a painful public divorce, the series was coming to an end, and my father was diagnosed with dementia”. She continued, “I felt it was time to be with my real family. A year-and-a-half ago, when I was sent the script, I was ready and strong enough to revisit Samantha. In some ways, I’m glad we waited. The script and the experience of making the movie was the best possible reunion”. While the true dynamics behind the scenes remain unknown, Cattrall's response, carefully managed for public relations, suggests that she and Sarah managed to mend their relationship to keep the show on the road.

October 18, 2016

During an appearance on 'The Howard Stern Show', Parker addresses the prevalent narrative of a feud between the cast members and expresses her displeasure with it. She acknowledges that, "Was every day perfect? Were people always desperately, hopelessly in love with each other? No!" She claimed, "This is a family of people that needed each other, relied upon each other, and loved each other."

September 28, 2017

In 2017, the Daily Mail publishes a report claiming that ‘SATC 3’ was ‘TORPEDOED’ due to Cattrall's alleged “outrageous demands”. In response, Cattrall takes to Twitter and clarifies that, “Woke 2 a @MailOnline 💩 storm! The only ‘DEMAND’ I ever made was that I didn’t want to do a 3rd film … & that was back in 2016”. This incident marks a significant turning point in the narrative, as it is the first time Cattrall publicly expresses her disinterest in being involved in any ‘SATC’ related projects. It's also noteworthy that Cattrall's Twitter post does not mention Parker by name.

January 11, 2018

In 2018, during an appearance on ‘The Late Show’ with Stephen Colbert, Parker engages in a playful conversation with the host about a potential new 'SATC' film. When asked which part he would play, she responds jokingly, “Well, there’s an opening. Well, according to very recent documentation of why we’re not making it, it’s because the part usually played by Kim Cattrall has been vacated”. She later repeats this playful banter while appearing on Ellen. While this exchange may be seen as a lighthearted talk-show moment, it also serves the purpose of reminding the audience that Cattrall's decision not to participate is the reason behind the lack of a new movie.

February 14, 2018

In a subsequent interview with People, Parker addresses the controversy surrounding the remarks made by Kim Cattrall during her conversation with Piers Morgan. She states, "I never responded to the conversation Kim had with Piers Morgan, where she said things that were really hurtful about me. So, there was no fight; it was completely fabricated, because I actually never responded. And I won't, because she needed to say what she needed to say, and that is her privilege."

April 23, 2018

Parker later reveals to Vulture, “But, no, there is no catfight. There never has been a catfight. I’ve never fought with someone publicly in my life, nor would I… We are enormously proud of what we got to do, and I don’t want someone sharing thoughts publicly, which is Kim’s right to do, and that is what it is”.

August 10, 2019

In an interview with Guardian, Cattrall candidly expressed, “I don’t want to be in a situation for even an hour where I’m not enjoying myself”. Although not directly related to 'SATC', this quote gains significant attention and becomes a widely recognized meme, symbolizing Cattrall's outlook towards the show.

December 9, 2021

With the start of ‘And Just Like That’ comes the unveiling of Samantha's storyline without Cattrall's presence. It is revealed that Samantha had a fallout with the group after Carrie ended their professional relationship. Carrie and Miranda discuss their unsuccessful attempts to reconnect with Samantha, highlighting that she has chosen not to respond. The narrative seems to convey the ‘SATC’ team's perspective, suggesting that they are not at fault for the absence of Samantha in the show.

June 2, 2022

Parker sticks to her familiar stance on her relationship with Cattrall during a podcast with The Hollywood Reporter. She emphasizes that “There is not a fight going on. There has been no public dispute or spat or conversations or allegations made by me or anybody on my behalf. I wouldn’t do it. That is not the way I would have it. So I just wish that they would stop calling this a ‘catfight’ or an ‘argument’ because it doesn’t reflect actually — there has been one person talking. And I’m not going to tell her not to, or anybody, so that’s been kind of painful for me also”.

June 1, 2023

In a surprising turn of events, the ongoing non-feud takes an unexpected twist as Cattrall makes a return to ‘And Just Like That’ for a single scene in the season finale, as reported by Variety. She will be styled by Patricia Field, the original costume designer of 'Sex and the City' who did not join the reboot. The scene Cattrall filmed involves a phone conversation with Carrie, and it was cleverly shot to avoid any in-person interactions with the cast. Cattrall took to Twitter to announce the news, sharing a screenshot of the Variety article with the caption "Happy Pride." Indeed, it's a happy moment for fans.