Yeyep is Your Go-to Source for All the Latest Entertainment News, from Movies and TV Shows to Music and Fashion.
⎯ 《 Yeyep • Com 》

Tony Bennett's celebrity friends mourn legendary singer's death at 96, say 'he's irreplaceable'

2023-07-22 02:52
Tony Bennett had been living with Alzheimer’s since 2016, but he never gave up on his passion for music
Tony Bennett's celebrity friends mourn legendary singer's death at 96, say 'he's irreplaceable'

NEW YORK CITY, NEW YORK: Tony Bennett, who enchanted millions with his voice, died on Friday, July 21, in New York. He was 96. He had been living with Alzheimer’s since 2016, but he never gave up on his passion for music. The death has sent fans and celebrity friends and those who know him into mourning as tributes flood the internet. The legendary Bennett, who collected 20 Grammys, two Emmys, and a Kennedy Center Honor for his musical brilliance, passed away just before he turned 97. His beloved wife, Susan Benedetto, who married him in 2007, and his four children are among those who mourn him.

His final concert in 2021 was a stunning one with his close friend and musical soulmate, Lady Gaga. He sang with no notes or cues as if the music was in his blood. “He becomes someone else when the music comes on. He knows exactly what he’s doing. And I just have to make sure I don’t get in the way of that,” Gaga said in an interview in 2021 following the concert.

'I loved and adored him'

"So sad to hear of Tony's passing," Elton John wrote on Instagram along with a picture. "Without doubt the classiest singer, man, and performer you will ever see. He's irreplaceable. I loved and adored him.

Condolences to Susan, Danny, and family. I feel the earth move,” singer Carole King wrote, “Such a big loss. Deepest sympathy to his family and the world.” 'Star Trek’s George Takei said, "The great Tony Bennett has passed away at the age of 96. He was the last of his kind, a master of the American songbook. He may have left his heart in San Francisco, but he won all of our hearts, from Sinatra to Lady Gaga. Be at peace, and sing to us now from the stars, Tony."

'I love the immortal Tony Bennett'

Flea 'The Red Hot Chili Peppers' drummer wrote, "I love the immortal Tony Bennett, what a dude, what a class act, what a singer. so grateful to have shared a stage with him. a beautiful human being." My most heartfelt condolences go out to Tony Bennett’s family and friends. They’re also my emotional family and friends." Record producer Nile Rodgers wrote, "My most heartfelt condolences go out to Tony Bennett’s family and friends. They’re also my emotional family and friends." Paul Young, who sang “Every Time You Go Away”, said he became a fan of Tony Bennett after getting his first album, 'Tony Bennett Sings 10 Rodgers' and 'Hart Songs.' "Ahhh, RIP Tony Bennett, truly one of the greats. The first album I had was Tony Bennett sings 10 Rodgers and Hart songs from when my record company in 1976 let me do a ‘bank raid’ of their vinyl stock and I was a fan from there on in. An incredible singer live, saw him many times."

'The last of the legends'

'Frozen' star Josh Gad commented, "This one shouldn’t sting so much because any of us would take 96 years, but man is it hard to imagine a world without the great Tony Bennett." Country artist Kelsea Ballerini shared Bennett's version of 'The Way You Look Tonight' on her Instagram story. "My dad played Tony Bennett around the house my whole childhood," she added. "His music has always made me feel at home and safe. What a gift he brought to the world and what a classic, beautiful legacy he leaves forever." The E Street Band member Stevie Van Zandt tweeted, "RIP Tony Bennett. The best of the best. The last of the legends. A man whose heart was as big as his voice. The world's foremost practitioner of the 'Art Of Excellence.' Deepest love and condolences to my friend Danny and the family." Actress Fran Drescher wrote, "Tis [with great] sadness, we say farewell to the late great Tony Bennett. He exemplified a person who was good as gold, sweet like sugar & a deeply feeling, empathic human being. I wish more had the stuff you were made of Tony. RIP." "Goodnight, #TonyBennett. Thank you for your commitment to love, civil rights, and a better world." Goodnight, #TonyBennett. Thank you for your commitment to love, civil rights, and a better world," Bernice King, youngest daughter of Martin Luther King Jr. wrote. "Tony Bennett has passed away at the age of 96. An incredible life. Rest in peace…" Rex Chapman wrote.

'He was the last of the greatest generation of singers and musicians'

Guitarist Joe Bonamassa paid homage to Bennett, calling him “one of the best to ever grace the stage”. “I was just saying that the greatest gig I had ever witnessed was Tony Bennett at North Sea Jazz in 2012. It was like dropping a needle on a record. He was the last of the greatest generation of singers and musicians,” he tweeted. Singer Billy Joel in a lengthy statement to Rolling Stone said, "He was a joy to work with. His energy and enthusiasm for the material he was performing was infectious. He was also one of the nicest human beings I've ever known." He also said, "He championed songwriters who might otherwise have remained unknown to many millions of music fans," adding, he was "one of the most important interpreters of American popular song." 'The Kiss' bassist Gene Simmons tweeted, "Today we lost an icon of icons. Kind, considerate and as [Frank] Sinatra was quoted as saying, the best singer of them all. Rest In Peace, Tony Bennett." The celebrity tweets continued to poor.