Yeyep is Your Go-to Source for All the Latest Entertainment News, from Movies and TV Shows to Music and Fashion.
⎯ 《 Yeyep • Com 》

Is it 'The British Open' or 'The Open'? Paige Spiranac's fans debate as she warns them ahead of final season of majors

2023-07-19 21:29
Paige Spiranac had a warning to her fans ahead of the last major of the season, The Open Championship
Is it 'The British Open' or 'The Open'? Paige Spiranac's fans debate as she warns them ahead of final season of majors

WHEAT RIDGE, COLORADO: The 30-year-old former golf player turned social media influencer, Paige Spiranac needs no introduction! Outspoken social media personality is known for her captivating videos and massive fan-following. Spiranac who is known for her golf analysis recently issued a warning to her fans ahead of the last major of the season, The Open Championship.

The Open Championship is all set to kick off on July 20 at the Royal Liverpool Golf Course. Spiranac posted a video on her Twitter account, where she has around 900k followers, pointing out that it's not really called the British Open anymore to those intending to watch and comment on the coverage.

Is it 'The British Open' or 'The Open'?

In a video clip posted by Paige on July 17, she said, "Major season in golf is sadly coming to an end with The Open this week and your yearly reminder to say ‘The Open’ and not ‘The British Open’ or else you’ll make a golf purist’s mind explode," before delving into a little preview of the tournament. She was confident enough to give her fans some clarity!

Going into The Open, Cameron Smith is the defending champion. He outperformed Cameron Young and Rory McIlroy in the final round, shooting a 64 to win the tournament. He would formally sign up with LIV Golf a month later and play in the second half of the league's inaugural campaign, which was funded by Saudi Arabia. Prior to the start of the competition on Monday, July 17, Smith was required to give the Claret Jug back to the organisers.

"I was actually holding back some tears. A bit of a moment, I guess, that crept up on me," he said. "It wasn't hard to hand it back. I wasn't like, ‘Not letting it go.’ But it was a moment that I guess you don't think about, and then all of a sudden it's there. And you want it back."

'I'll always call it the British Open'

At the time of writing, Spiranac's video had 685k views and near 9000 comments. A user wrote,"WE LIVE IN AMERICA I WILL REFER TO IT AS THE BRITISH OPEN." The second user wrote,"Ok fine, if you say it’s “The Open” then I’ll accept it." The third user wrote,"So is it the American open?" While the fourth user wrote,"I'll always call it the British Open"