Yeyep is Your Go-to Source for All the Latest Entertainment News, from Movies and TV Shows to Music and Fashion.
⎯ 《 Yeyep • Com 》

Xolo Mariduena landed 'Blue Beetle' role without saying a single word: 'It was overwhelming'

2023-06-13 15:26
'We’re not just hiring a face. It’s about more than what’s in front of the camera,' DC Films chief Hamada told Xolo Mariduena
Xolo Mariduena landed 'Blue Beetle' role without saying a single word: 'It was overwhelming'

In the vast landscape of Hollywood, where actors vie for coveted roles with auditions, Xolo Mariduena has defied all odds. The 22-year-old 'Cobra Kai' star has landed the lead role in the highly anticipated DC Comics film adaptation, 'Blue Beetle', without uttering a single word, thereby becoming the first Latino actor to headline a major superhero movie.

While the path to securing a role in a major motion picture often involves rigorous auditions and impressive dialogue delivery, Mariduena's journey to embody Jaime Reyes, the superhero Blue Beetle, took an unconventional path.

The silent superhero takes Hollywood by storm

In an extraordinary turn of events, Mariduena found himself invited to an intriguing lunch meeting with DC Films chief Walter Hamada and Warners executive Galen Vaisman. Despite having a Zoom chat with Hamada, Mariduena had not yet undergone the traditional audition process and had no previous movie credits to his name. “Why do these guys want to meet?” Mariduena wondered. “What’s happening? I was so nervous. There’s so much riding on what they think about me,” as per The Hollywood Reporter.

Nervous yet brimming with anticipation, he wondered about the purpose of this significant gathering and the immense judgment that lay ahead. While waiting for a table, Mariduena's nerves were comforted by Hamada, who reassured him of the role's importance in the DC Universe. “Look Xolo,” Mariduena recalls Hamada saying. “This role of Blue Beetle is going to be really important to this universe. We want to just make sure that whoever we go with is a real person and we’re not just hiring a face. It’s about more than what’s in front of the camera.”

An unexpected gathering unveils a superhero surprise

Walking alongside Hamada towards the table, Mariduena realized that the lunch group surpassed his expectations. In addition to Hamada, there was 'Blue Beetle' director Angel Manuel Soto, screenwriter Gareth Dunnet-Alcocer, and the film's producers, among others. It became clear that this was not a mere casual conversation but a superhero surprise party. Astonishingly, Mariduena had already secured the role of 'Blue Beetle' without even reading a single line of dialogue. “I felt my throat close up and my eyes started to water,” Mariduena says. “It was overwhelming.”

As fans eagerly anticipate the release of 'Blue Beetle' on August 18, 2023, they can rest assured that Mariduena's portrayal of this iconic superhero will be nothing short of mesmerizing. However, his groundbreaking success extends far beyond his individual triumph. It serves as an inspiration and a monumental stride towards fostering greater diversity and representation in the realm of Hollywood. By becoming the first Latino actor to lead a major superhero film, Mariduena paves the way for underrepresented communities, challenging stereotypes and proving that talent knows no boundaries and should be celebrated in all its forms.

Tags news epcelebs