Yeyep is Your Go-to Source for All the Latest Entertainment News, from Movies and TV Shows to Music and Fashion.
⎯ 《 Yeyep • Com 》

Who was Clyde Johnson? Whoopi Goldberg is 'happy to be alive' on 68th birthday as she honors her brother

2023-11-14 21:22
Whoopi Goldberg says she feels 'lucky to have lived to this age' while remembering her brother
Who was Clyde Johnson? Whoopi Goldberg is 'happy to be alive' on 68th birthday as she honors her brother

LOS ANGELES, CALIFORNIA: Clyde K Johnson, brother of Whoopi Goldberg, died due to a brain aneurysm in May 2015 at the age of 65, according to Entertainment Weekly. He was remembered by the actress-comedian on her daytime talk show 'The View' when she celebrated turning 68 on November 13.

Goldberg had marked her brother's birthday on October 17 with an Instagram post, uploading an old black and white photograph with the caption, "Today is my big brother Clyde’s birthday and I miss him. Happy birthday bro!” Johnson would have been 74 this year.

Whoopi Goldberg presents gifts to 'The View' co-hosts on her birthday

“It is my birthday and I want to get the celebration started and there’s no better way to do that than with one of my favorite things than my Prosecco,” she shared, prompting her colleague Sara Haines to joke, "I didn’t know you had to bring gifts when it was your birthday. Sorry, guys."

Goldberg went on to say, "Let me tell you why it’s important. I think it's important because I feel lucky to have lived to this age. I outlived my brother — I’m older than my brother was — and I just feel like I should celebrate and have a good time for all those folks who didn't get to get here."

Sunny Justin, another co-host, replied, "We are very lucky to have you co-host."

Whoopi Goldberg's health issues

Ana Navarro, the third co-host, told the 'Sister Act' star, "You've gone through such a hard time, right? Health-wise, it was a couple of really challenging years and to see you looking this good, feeling this good, and doing this well, it's just really remarkable.... don't take it for granted."

"I am happy to be alive, y'all! I'm happy to be here," said Goldberg in response. "You know, age is really... it's going to happen if you are lucky enough, you get to do it. If it happens, it's a privilege."

The Daily Mail reported that Goldberg was diagnosed with double pneumonia and sepsis in February 2019, when doctors told her that she had a 30 percent chance of dying.

The EGOT winner had a drainage catheter put in place to continuously remove the fluid in the space between her lungs and chest wall, forcing her to take a six-week sabbatical from her show.

She had also thrice tested positive for Covid, most recently in September, because of which she had to miss the current season premiere of 'The View.'

Tags news