Yeyep is Your Go-to Source for All the Latest Entertainment News, from Movies and TV Shows to Music and Fashion.
⎯ 《 Yeyep • Com 》

Friends to Foes: How a movie close to Celine Dion’s heart sparked rivalry with Angelina Jolie

2023-05-29 17:59
Angelina Jolie has maintained a close relationship with Celine Dion over the years, but things changed with the latter's plans for a biopic
Friends to Foes: How a movie close to Celine Dion’s heart sparked rivalry with Angelina Jolie

LOS ANGELES, CALIFORNIA: Celine Dion is unquestionably a charismatic singer, who is also a devoted daughter, mother, and wife. The 55-year-old Grammy-winning singer, who has been diagnosed with stiff person syndrome, has always admired her bond with her close-knit family, especially her husband Rene Angelil. Dion and Angelil were happily married for 22 years, up until his death from throat cancer in 2016.

The ‘Power of Love’ singer was just 12 years old when she and Angelil started working together professionally. Their relationship turned romantic when she was 19, but they kept their love under wraps for more than five years. The couple finally exchanged vows in 1994 and then went on welcome three children together. Dion always cherished Angelil and wanted a biopic that specifically portrays her relationship with him. After many years, the movie recently received a go signal but it apparently burnt bridges between Dion and one of her closest friends.

READ MORE

Celine Dion celebrates 55th birthday amid health struggles and battle with stiff person syndrome

'She is the picture of resilience': Celine Dion is 'doing everything' to return to stage amid health issues

Celine Dion’s biopic is in full swing

Earlier this year, it was reported that the ‘All by Myself’ singer had given her approval for the proposal to adapt her life for the big screen. Dion not only approved the project's progress but also granted the rights to use her chartbuster songs on the film, including ‘My Heart Will Go On’, ‘That’s The Way It Is’, and ‘All By Myself’. Assuming the title ‘The Power of Love’, the movie will concentrate on Dion’s journey to stardom until she settled with her husband and manager, Angelil. It is reportedly being put together by the French studio Gaumont. The studio announced in 2019 that the project won't be a biopic; rather, it will be a tribute to the singer's life and achievements, according to Variety.

Why did Angelina Jolie decline to play the lead in Dion’s biopic?

The movie will be helmed by French actress-turned-director Valerie Lemercier, who was personally inspired by the singer. The project was moving ahead smoothly until it suffered a major blow when Dion’s close friend Angelina Jolie declined the offer to play the lead role. The singer was taken aback because she always believed they were on good terms. The ‘Salt’ actress has maintained a strong bond with Dion over the years; in fact, Jolie's children have been spotted wearing items from her clothing brand, CELINUNUNU.

“Angelina puts her kids in these clothes because she likes the designs but also because she respects where Celine is coming from,” a source close to Jolie previously revealed, according to The Thing. Considering all of these factors, it makes sense why Dion wanted Jolie to play the major role in her biopic. But Jolie reportedly broke her heart and declined the offer as she wasn’t really accepting film offers during that time. In recent years, she has been busy with charities and politics on top of being a great mother to her children.

'Their friendship won’t survive this'

Although Jolie had a valid reason for declining the project, Dion was left distraught after hearing the news. A close friend of Dion dished to Radar Online that Jolie’s decision has strained her relationship with the singer. “Their friendship surely won’t survive this, and after losing out on a leading lady of Angie’s level, this may be the end of the project altogether,” the insider revealed. It was also revealed that Dion wanted her fans and her children to see the film happen, and she was apparently dead set on getting Angelina Jolie to do the part.

However, it now seems like Dion has moved on from Jolie’s refusal and is extremely happy. “I am like a one-year-old! I’m not saying that I don’t care what people think of me, but I’ve reached a point in my life where I can let myself make my own decisions and choices. Now I am discovering myself more and more. I am a woman assuming her own destiny, full of energy and in love with life. It’s never too late to start. At 51, I have the sense that I am at my pinnacle!” she told the Elle magazine, according to The Thing.