Yeyep is Your Go-to Source for All the Latest Entertainment News, from Movies and TV Shows to Music and Fashion.
⎯ 《 Yeyep • Com 》

Who is Dame Helen Mirren's husband? Actress defends Bradley Cooper's use of prosthetic nose in Leonard Bernstein biopic

2023-10-02 20:48
Helen Mirren stated that if historical accuracy dictates the use of prosthetics to reflect how a figure looked, it might be a reasonable choice
Who is Dame Helen Mirren's husband? Actress defends Bradley Cooper's use of prosthetic nose in Leonard Bernstein biopic

LOS ANGELES, CALIFORNIA: Dame Helen Mirren, the esteemed British actress and wife of Taylor Hackford, recently spoke in support of Bradley Cooper's use of a prosthetic nose in the upcoming Leonard Bernstein biopic 'Maestro'.

At the same time, she acknowledged the concerns raised by some regarding what is referred to as "Jew face" and the portrayal of historical figures with different heritages.

How did Helen Mirren respond to the criticisms regarding Bradley Cooper's use of a prosthetic nose?

Bradley Cooper's portrayal of Leonard Bernstein, the celebrated composer, has sparked discussion, with some critics arguing that the prosthetic nose reinforces offensive Jewish stereotypes.

While discussing the topic, Helen Mirren emphasized the importance of striking a "delicate balance" when portraying individuals with diverse backgrounds. She mentioned that if historical accuracy dictates the use of prosthetics to reflect how a figure genuinely looked, it might be a reasonable choice.

During an interview on the BBC One program 'Sunday With Laura Kuenssberg', Mirren expressed, "I think I can see, but sometimes I can't see because I can't see who in this room is Jewish. We are all such an amazing mix, and certainly, I don't have an issue with Kirk Douglas playing a Viking. Kirk Douglas was Jewish," as per the Daily Mail.

She added, "I think the whole question of assuming a certain physiognomy because you're playing a particular race, there is something offensive about that."

"On the other hand, if you're playing Leonard Bernstein, and this is really what Leonard Bernstein looked like, you know, maybe it's a good idea. It's, as I said, it's a very delicate balance," stated Mirren.

Moreover, the Bernstein family has expressed their approval of Cooper's depiction of the composer.

Helen Mirren's perspective on the Golda Meir controversy

Helen Mirren, who played Golda Meir in the film 'Golda', also touched on the controversial statements made by the fourth Prime Minister of Israel during her time in office, particularly her apparent assertion that there was "no such thing as Palestinians."

The actress acknowledged that in today's context, such remarks are indeed unacceptable.

Notably, the said film focuses on Meir's responsibilities and decisions during the Yom Kippur War, a significant armed conflict between Israel and a coalition of Arab states that erupted in 1973.

Mirren stated, "I think that's true in the context of today's world, absolutely. We are all the product of the society that we grew up in and the world around us and our education and all the rest of it. So yes, absolutely. That's true."

Regarding her role as Meir, Mirren clarified that she is not attempting to rationalize her actions but is merely portraying the woman during a specific period in history.

"All I'm doing is playing Golda during the period of the Yom Kippur War. And that's what I'm doing. I'm not explaining her or rationalizing her or reappraising her. I'm just playing a woman of that age, dealing with that situation," noted 'The Queen' star, as per the BBC.

Tags news