Yeyep is Your Go-to Source for All the Latest Entertainment News, from Movies and TV Shows to Music and Fashion.
⎯ 《 Yeyep • Com 》

Tom Cruise helped 'Lock, Stock & Two Smoking Barrels' release in theaters by igniting bidding war

2023-06-22 18:59
'This is the best movie I've seen in years, you guys would be fools not to make it,' said Cruise
Tom Cruise helped 'Lock, Stock & Two Smoking Barrels' release in theaters by igniting bidding war

LOS ANGELES, CALIFORNIA: The world of filmmaking can be cutthroat, with intense competition among celebrities and tales of diva-like behavior. However, amidst the chaos, there are stars like Tom Cruise who not only focus on their own films but also dedicate themselves to supporting quality movies and talented individuals.

The 'Top Gun: Maverick' actor known for his daring stunts and thrilling performances, has a genuine love for the industry and a passion for championing others with talent. In a surprising turn of events, Cruise played a pivotal role in rescuing the crime comedy film 'Lock, Stock & Two Smoking Barrels' from being relegated to the VHS market and ensured its visibility among future fans.

'Cruise, to his credit, showed up!'

Matthew Vaughn, producer and financier, faced an uphill battle in finding a buyer for director Guy Ritchie's film. During a revealing interview on BBC Radio 4, Vaughn shared the story of how Cruise stepped in to help make the film a reality. Initially struggling to secure financing, Vaughn recalled, "I started off as a producer, and as a financier, and so I had to become an independent because no one would finance the movie." He produced Guy Ritchie's 'Lock, Stock & Two Smoking Barrels' in 1998. But, he faced a chorus of 'nos' when he tried to get someone to release the movie theatrically.

Vaughn said after screening the movie and being told "no, no one wants it, it's just gonna go (back then) straight to VHS (which was the best thing we had)", he realized "he couldn't sell" the film. It was then that Vaughn turned to Trudie Styler, an investor in the project and a friend of Cruise. Desperate to generate interest, Vaughn requested Styler's assistance in persuading Cruise to attend a special screening of the film for potential buyers. "I rang up Trudie Styler who put money in, and I said, 'Do me a favor, can you get Tom Cruise to come to this buyers' screening in America?'" Vaughn said.

'You guys would be fools not to make it!'

To his surprise and relief, both Styler and Cruise agreed to support the film. Vaughn added, "Cruise, to his credit, showed up." Cruise's presence at the screening attracted significant attention, causing mid-level executives to take notice and senior executives to join the event. Vaughn said, "I was hysterical. You had all these mid-level executives sitting there, and Cruise walked in. He saw them all sit up and pay attention, all getting on their phones, and suddenly all these senior executives joined the screening. At the end, Tom got up in front of everyone and said, 'this is the best movie I've seen in years, you guys would be fools not to make it.'" The declaration ignited a fierce bidding war among interested parties, and the rest is cinematic history.

Tags news epcelebs