Yeyep is Your Go-to Source for All the Latest Entertainment News, from Movies and TV Shows to Music and Fashion.
⎯ 《 Yeyep • Com 》

The Weeknd expected backlash for 'The Idol', says people will 'get' controversial show with time

2023-06-22 18:55
HBO's 'The Idol' has faced accusations of promoting 'rape fantasy' and has received backlash for its explicit sex scenes
The Weeknd expected backlash for 'The Idol', says people will 'get' controversial show with time

LOS ANGELES, CALIFORNIA: The Weeknd has come to the defense of his controversial miniseries 'The Idol' amid growing backlash on social media. The show has sparked explosive controversy due to its explicit and provocative portrayal of Jocelyn, played by Lily-Rose Depp, a pop star who becomes entangled with a nightclub owner portrayed by The Weeknd himself.

Critics have not held back, with one headline criticizing The Weeknd's perceived lack of acting skills, while another accused the show of featuring "the worst sex scene in history." The singer recently chose to reply to a fan who wrote on Twitter, "I cried a lot this episode. I’ve never related to a character more on a program than I have to jocelyn. Her mental. Her mother dynamic. It’s uncanny. The Idol is REAL. And a lot of people just don’t get it." Quoting her tweet, The Weeknd responded, "They will… i promise, give it time. until then enjoy the show for yourself," adding a heart emoji.

'Excited for everyone to watch the rest of the show'

The Weeknd is one of the co-creators of the show alongside Reza Fahim and Sam Levinson. Levinson, the creator and director of 'Euphoria' has a personal history with drugs that played a role in inspiring the show. He is also connected to Lily-Rose Depp as a fellow "nepo baby", being the son of renowned director Barry Levinson.

The Weeknd, 33, also known as Abel Tesfaye, stated that not only was he not surprised by the backlash from viewers, but he also anticipated it. "We’re playing with genres with this show, we’re doing exactly what we wanted to do," he told Variety. "And none of this is a surprise. I’m excited for everyone to watch the rest of the show."

The Weeknd claims 'The Idol' is 'educational'

After the show's premiere on June 4, Tesfaye faced harsh criticism for his performance, with some labeling it as "comically bad" and claiming his acting skills were "nonexistent." The show itself has faced accusations of promoting "rape fantasy" and has received backlash for its excessive nudity and explicit sex scenes.

Tesfaye expressed that one of his objectives with the series was to offer viewers an alternative perspective on fame. "It’s almost educational, that this is what comes with being incredibly famous. You’re surrounded by people who you’re not sure what their true intentions are, even if it seems like they’re good. You just never know," he told the outlet. "But of course, I’ve been very fortunate to have people around me that I’ve known almost my entire life, which is important, and is a gift."