Yeyep is Your Go-to Source for All the Latest Entertainment News, from Movies and TV Shows to Music and Fashion.
⎯ 《 Yeyep • Com 》

After wrecking his marriage Julia Roberts dumped Kiefer Sutherland 72 hours before their wedding and fled with his best friend

2023-06-08 20:52
When Julia and Kiefer first saw one another while filming their 1990 movie Flatliners, their love thrived, but it all ended in tears
After wrecking his marriage Julia Roberts dumped Kiefer Sutherland 72 hours before their wedding and fled with his best friend

LOS ANGELES, CALIFORNIA: Julia Roberts, who rose to fame after appearing in the classic Hollywood film 'Runaway Bride,' is definitely the queen of rom-com. By the age of 23, she had become a household celebrity in Hollywood because of roles in movies like 'Runaway Bride' and 'Pretty Woman.' Also, she was engaged to be married to actor Kiefer Sutherland after they fell in love in 'Flatliners.' Eight years before 'Runaway Bride's box-office success, Roberts, now 55, almost became a runaway bride herself as she called off her wedding to Sutherland just 72 hours before the ceremony and fled with his best friend Jason Patric.

The 'Pretty Woman' star is currently married to cinematographer Danny Moder and clearly loves spending time with her family. Roberts is one of many famous people who attended a recent Taylor Swift concert, and it's evident that she had a great time! Roberts posted on her Instagram about how happy she was to watch the pop sensation performing. She was also captured in the VIP section with her 18-year-old daughter Hazel. She most likely brought along her two teenage boys, Phinnaeus (18) and Henry (14), who are also ardent fans of Taylor Swift.

Julia Roberts called off her wedding to Kiefer Sutherland

According to Mirror, in 1991, Roberts called off her wedding to Sutherland unexpectedly two days before their ceremony was to take place. After catching each other's sights on the first day of filming for their 1990 movie 'Flatliners,' their romance started to develop. Similarly, Roberts opted to break up her brief engagement to Dylan McDermott, who she fell madly in love with while filming 'Steel Magnolias,' after forming a special bond with Kiefer Sutherland.

As their romance flared up, Sutherland was still married to his first wife, Camelia Kath. Their divorce was later finalized that year. Roberts and Sutherland made their romance public in January 1990 while attending the Golden Globe Awards together. In her acceptance speech after winning the Best Supporting Actress award for 'Steel Magnolias,' Roberts acknowledged her "best friend – her beautiful blue-eyed, green-eyed best friend, who gives me everything," referring to Sutherland.

Kiefer Sutherland allegedly cheated on Roberts

The pair faced a major obstacle when Kiefer was accused of cheating on Roberts with a stripper. During the course of the following several months, their seemingly perfect romance went from strength to strength. For a brief time, Kiefer, who has a well-established history of alcohol abuse, relocated from Roberts' Hollywood house, shedding light on the realities of their relationship.

The D-day which never actually came

The 'Pretty Woman' star hosted an opulent hen's party with an array of A-list celebrities weeks before her wedding to Sutherland. However, suspicion surfaced when Sutherland's stag party was canceled just three days before it was scheduled. Reportedly, the actor did not find out about the cancellation of their wedding from his fiance, but rather through a mutual acquaintance who broke the dreadful news to him.

The blow intensified when Sutherland discovered that his ex-girlfriend went on a date with his best friend from the time, Jason Patric, on the day of their wedding. According to eyewitnesses who talked to Daily Mail at the time, Roberts and Patric flew to Ireland instead of leaving on her honeymoon with Sutherland as they were 'practically making love' on the plane. In the end, the two's relationship fizzled, and they later called it quits in 1992.

'It wasn’t what she wanted to do in the end'

Almost two decades later, in an interview in 2016, Sutherland made the decision to finally spill the beans. The once saddened actor even applauded Roberts for having the "courage" to call it quits on their wedding day. "I think she had courage. It wasn’t what she wanted to do in the end. And I think it took a lot of courage, in amongst all of that other stuff, to be able to say, “I can’t do this,'” he said during an appearance on The Jess Cagle Interview.

'The Lost Boys' actor added, "She was arguably the most famous woman in the world, and this wedding that was supposed to be something between the two of us, became something so big."

'The point is to come home at the end of the day'

Apart from being an A-list star, the 55-year-old Oscar winner actress clearly enjoys being a wife to Danny Moder and a mother to her children. Roberts places a high value on her family, and she enjoys nothing more than spending time with her husband, Danny Moder, and children. The Hollywood actress claimed, "It just never consumed me, being an actor. It is my dream come true. But it is not my only dream come true," as per Hello! magazine.

When questioned about her other aspirations, the 'Runaway Bride' star responded, "The life that I’ve built with my husband. The life that we’ve built with our children. And that's the best stuff. The point is to come home at the end of the day triumphantly to them."

Tags news