Yeyep is Your Go-to Source for All the Latest Entertainment News, from Movies and TV Shows to Music and Fashion.
⎯ 《 Yeyep • Com 》

'Social structures define you': Natalie Portman opens up on how women are expected to behave 'differently' than men at Cannes

2023-05-22 10:50
Natalie Portman shared that the team did not face any shortage of inspiration material for ‘May December' due to America’s obsession with scandals
'Social structures define you': Natalie Portman opens up on how women are expected to behave 'differently' than men at Cannes

CANNES, FRANCE: Natalie Portman opened up about her stance on gender roles during a press conference for her new film ‘May December’ at Cannes 2023. The actress described the film as a study of “the different roles we play in different environments” and pointed out how women are often expected to behave “differently” than men, even at the film festival, where it is mandatory for women to wear heels on the red carpet.

The film, which is directed by Todd Haynes and also stars Julianne Moore and Charles Melton in lead roles, received a six-minute standing ovation at the Cannes Film Festival. In the movie, Portman plays an actress who is set to portray the role of Moore’s character in a film and travels to Georgia to study the latter’s life. Moore and Melton play a married couple, who inspired a national tabloid scandal with their 20-year age difference.

READ MORE

Natalie Portman reveals why she has not returned to Star Wars universe despite being open to comeback

'Thor: Love and Thunder': Natalie Portman hails 'gayest Marvel movie ever', thanks source material

‘It affects how you behave’

While speaking about ‘May December,’ Portman shared that the team did not face any shortage of inspiration material for the film due to America’s obsession with scandals. “We had all the inspirational tabloid materials that existed,” the actress said. “There was a book with a crazy title, like ‘Punished for Love,’ or something like that. We had those resources at our fingertips, which was helpful at getting background,” Portman shared.

The ‘Thor: Love and Thunder’ star spoke up about the portrayal of femininity onscreen and said, “Of course, performing femininity is, I think a recurring theme in Todd’s films as well and something I am very curious about and interested in.” She then mentioned how ‘May December’ studies “the different roles” women play in “different environments.” Portman then pointed out the different ways in which women are expected to behave, even at the Cannes Film Festival, where she is promoting the film.

“Even here, the different ways we, as women, are expected to behave at this festival even compared to men… how we’re supposed to look, how we’re supposed to carry ourselves,” Portman said. “The expectations are different on you all the time. It affects how you behave, whether you are buying into or rejecting it or whether you are doing something in between. You’re defined by the social structures upon you,” she added.

In that aspect, both Portman and Moore shared how they appreciate playing women who are fully developed and “simply human.” “It’s incredible to get to be part of a film like this, which has two complex women characters who are full of delicious conflicts,” Portman said. “Women are not a minority group. We’re 50% of the population. So it’s important we’re treated as such,” Moore added.

‘It’s not just Cannes!’

Portman’s take on gender roles left social media users divided. While some sided with the actress, others took to Facebook to criticize her opinion. “Natalie, if you don’t like how women are treated there, don’t go. No reason to go somewhere you don’t feel welcome,” one user wrote. “These have always been the rules at Cannes. Always. You know that before you go, so she could, I don't know, not go,” another added. “So don't go. Movie stars whining about their privileged lives is silly,” a third agreed.

One said, “I cannot think of any place I would want to avoid more than Cannes… especially now. A virtual sea of narcissism,” while another mentioned, “It’s not just Cannes!” One stated, “I always assumed men were always supposed to act like men and women were always supposed to act like women.” At the same time, another countered, “I agree that men and women are different, but we don't require men to - for one example - totter around on sticks as opposed to walking in comfortable shoes. Her point is that the requirements placed on women hobble them instead of celebrating those differences. She's not saying she wants to be a man. Y'all read a story before commenting.”

This article contains remarks made on the Internet by individual people and organizations. MEAWW cannot confirm them independently and does not support claims or opinions being made online.

Tags news epcelebs