Yeyep is Your Go-to Source for All the Latest Entertainment News, from Movies and TV Shows to Music and Fashion.
⎯ 《 Yeyep • Com 》

Joe Rogan talks about 'illegal' 12-6 elbows that resulted in Jon Jones' only career loss: 'Dumbest thing in the world'

2023-10-01 19:49
UFC commentator Joe Rogan delved into the 12-6 elbow rule as he hinted at its potential removal from MMA regulations
Joe Rogan talks about 'illegal' 12-6 elbows that resulted in Jon Jones' only career loss: 'Dumbest thing in the world'

AUSTIN, TEXAS: Joe Rogan is once again in the spotlight for discussing his opinions on the 12-6 elbow technique. During a recent episode of his YouTube channel, Rogan explored the contentious 12-6 elbow rule and suggested that it might be considered for removal from MMA regulations.

Rogan also shared details of a conversation he had with Jeff Novitzky, who serves as the UFC's Senior Vice President of Athlete Health and Performance. It's important to highlight that this rule had a significant impact on Jon Jones' career setback.

What is 12-6 elbow?

A 12-6 elbow is an illegal elbow strike in MMA, where the arm moves straight from a twelve o'clock to a six o'clock position, resembling the motion of a clock's hands. These strikes are typically executed in a vertical downward motion from a mounted position.

Joe Rogan's views on 12-6 elbow rule

In this episode, Joe Rogan criticized the inconsistency in the rules regarding 12-6 elbows in MMA. He pointed out that while they are illegal when used from a mounted position, they are allowed in other situations, which he found nonsensical.

"12-6 elbows are illegal still, which is the dumbest thing in the world. [In the mount position], you can't go 12-6, which doesn't make any sense. So, if you and I are standing and you rush at me and hit me with a 12-6 elbow, that's illegal,” Joe Rogan said.

Rogan also noted that Jeff Novitzky, a prominent figure in the UFC's anti-doping program, has talked about the possibility of altering this rule. Rogan expressed relief and gratitude, as he believes that changing this rule would be a positive improvement for the sport, according to his perspective.

“They're gonna change that. Novitzky talked to me about it. He said, 'I know this is something you complain about all the time and we think we're gonna be able to get rid of that.' I'm like, 'Oh, thank god!'” Joe Rogan added.

How did 12-6 elbow strike affect Jon Jones' career?

The 12-6 elbow rule is responsible for the only tarnish on MMA star Jon Jones' professional record. In December 2009, during a fight against Matt Hamill, Jones used 12-6 elbows from a mounted position, resulting in his disqualification and Hamill being declared the winner.

This took the internet by storm, the Twitter handle, @MMAHistoryToday shared a post with a caption saying, "Dec5.2009Referee Steve Mazzagatti disqualifies Jon Jones for hitting Matt Hamill with illegal 12-6 elbows. This is recorded as the only loss of Jones' professional career".

Tags news