Yeyep is Your Go-to Source for All the Latest Entertainment News, from Movies and TV Shows to Music and Fashion.
⎯ 《 Yeyep • Com 》

Where is Mandy Patinkin now? Barbra Streisand claims her 'Yentl' co-star wanted to have an 'affair' with her

2023-11-08 21:18
Barbra Streisand has talked about a challenging situation in her new memoir 'My Name Is Barbra'
Where is Mandy Patinkin now? Barbra Streisand claims her 'Yentl' co-star wanted to have an 'affair' with her

LONDON, UK: Following two seasons of fans being treated to an emotional roller coaster with Jason Gideon in 'Criminal Minds,' Mandy Patinkin returned to the big screen, starring in several Indie films in small roles.

According to the actor's post on X (formerly Twitter), Patinkin is currently in London to perform eight 'Live in Concert', and he will be playing between November 7 to 19 with his piano player Adam Ben David.

Apart from the 'Being Alive' shows, Patinkin collaborates with his spouse Kathryn Grody, and son Gideon Grody-Patinkin to create viral (and often humorous) videos for his social media platforms, as per Times Union.

He also serves on the International Rescue Committee and is enjoying his latest role as a grandfather.

Mandy Patinkin's 'Yentl' co-star Barbra Streisand spills tea in her new memoir

Recounting an uncomfortable moment on the set of her first-ever directorial venture, 'Yentl,' Barbra Streisand has talked about a challenging situation in her new memoir 'My Name Is Barbra.'

The renowned singer and actress has written about her experiences working with Patinkin, claiming that he once suggested having an affair with her, per PEOPLE Magazine.

According to Streisand's story, the incident took place on the set of her 1983 feature directorial debut 'Yentl.' The singer of 'Tell Him' remembers pairing Patinkin as Avigdor with her title character Yentl.

The film, which follows an Ashkenazi Jewish woman named Yentl in the early 20th century who poses as a male to obtain a religious education following the death of her father, was written, directed, and starred by Streisand.

However, as detailed in her recently published book, the 81-year-old Streisand claims that Patinkin was the only person who "disturbed my equilibrium" throughout the film's shooting, given that he was allegedly often uncooperative on set.

Streisand claims that Patinkin was behaving irrationally and was irritated on set, and so she wanted to talk to him.

During an intense discussion in her dressing room at the start of the film's shooting, Streisand recalled what the now 70-year-old Patinkin said, "'I thought we were going to have a more personal relationship,'" as per PEOPLE.

Streisand continued, "'What?' I had no idea what he was talking about. [Patinkin says] 'I thought we were going to have an affair.'"

Streisand claimed that after Patinkin's remarks, she "looked at him as if he were crazy."

She further wrote in her book: "1) I would never have an affair with an actor I was directing, 2) he was married, and 3) I wasn’t at all attracted to him."

"But I couldn’t tell him he was not exactly fascinating to me. I didn’t want to hurt his feelings, so I simply said, 'I don’t operate that way.' Tears rolled down his cheeks," she added.

Barbra Streisand wished to replace Mandy Patinkin on 'Yentl'

Furthermore, Streisand recounted having to threaten to replace Patinkin in the movie if he continued his challenging behavior on set, which she claimed made her life "miserable" for several months.

In the end, she even rewrote a sequence in which her character was meant to share a bed with Patinkin, stating, "Now that I look back on it, I wonder if I allowed my frustration with Mandy to overrule my instincts."

She also talked of mentoring the actor through several scenes with differing degrees of success, at a time when he had only been in films for a few years after starring in 'The Big Fix' in 1978.

With the 1983 premiere of 'Yentl,' Streisand was awarded a Golden Globe for Best Director and an Oscar for Best Original Song Score.

When 'Yentl' was being produced, Streisand was dating producer and hairstylist Jon Peters. She was previously married to Elliott Gould from 1963 to 1971 and to James Brolin since 1998.

What is Mandy Patinkin up to now?

According to The New York Times, Patinkin married actress and writer Kathryn Grody in 1980.

Patinkin later appeared in more significant studio productions. He appeared with Penelope Cruz in the 2016 motion picture 'The Queen of Spain,' a follow-up to Fernando Trueba's 1998 film 'The Girl of Your Dreams.'

A year following 'The Queen of Spain,' Patinkin played alongside JJ Palacio in 'Wonder,' a film adapted from his book of the same name.

Most of his fans believe that Patinkin's most important performance since 'Criminal Minds' is his portrayal of Saul Berenson on 'Homeland.'

Patinkin's exit from 'Criminal Minds' after Season 2 was never explained in detail, save for the nebulous "creative differences" explanation.

However, it appeared from Patinkin's post-exodus comments that he didn't like the show's frequently violent material, per Looper.

Tags news