Yeyep is Your Go-to Source for All the Latest Entertainment News, from Movies and TV Shows to Music and Fashion.
⎯ 《 Yeyep • Com 》

How did Irish Grinstead die? Ailing 702 singer, 43, had twin sister who died of kidney failure in 2008

2023-09-18 20:28
702 had announced in December 2022 that Irish Grinstead was taking 'a medical leave of absence due to serious medical issues'
How did Irish Grinstead die? Ailing 702 singer, 43, had twin sister who died of kidney failure in 2008

TAMPA, FLORIDA: Irish Grinstead, best known as a member of the 1990's R&B girl group 702, has died at the age of 43. The group has yet to share the cause of death.

Irish had been dealing with "serious medical issues" since at least December 2022, when the band announced that she would take a leave of absence from 702, which also comprised of vocalists Kameelah Williams and LeMisha Grinstead, per Rolling Stone.

What happened to Irish Grinstead?

LeMisha Grinstead's bandmate and sister shared a statement that was also published on Instagram through Cory Taylor of 702.

"It is with great sadness that I have to let you know that my beautiful sister and friend has passed away this evening," LeMisha stated in the update. "She has had a long battle and she is finally at peace. That girl was as bright as the stars!"

"She was not only beautiful on the outside, but also within. Sharing the stage with her was a joy I will cherish for the rest of my life!" added LeMisha.

Grinstead was dealing with health issues in the months before her death. 702 announced on Instagram in December 2022 that Grinstead was taking "a medical leave of absence due to serious medical issues." The post did not specify what Grinstead's medical problems were.

"It is our hope that she will have a healthy and speedy recovery in the months to come," the group said at the time.

"We ask that at this very difficult time that you please respect our privacy and continue to pray for us as Meelah and Misha continue to navigate and represent 702 for upcoming performances in 2023," they added.

Why was Irish Grinstead famous?

The Grinstead sisters, who were born in Houston and raised in Las Vegas, named the girl group 702 after their area number.

The trio, consisting of Kameelah Williams, Irish, and Lamisha Grinstead, released their debut album, 'No Doubt', in 1996.

Missy Elliott contributed to the album's early songwriting credits and had a cameo appearance on the track 'Steelo'.

The trio's most well-known song, 'Where My Girls At?', reportedly peaked at No 4 on the Hot 100.

Before breaking up in the mid-2000s, 702 only put out one more album, 2003's 'Star', which was produced by the Neptunes and featured Clipse and Pharrell Williams.

"Irish May your beautiful soul Rest Peacefully in the arms of the Lord," Missy shared on Sunday. "A Multitude of prayers for the entire Grinstead family."

Who was Irish Grinstead's twin sister?

Grinstead was born on June 2, 1980. Orish, her identical twin sister, reportedly died from kidney failure at the age of 27 in 2008.

Orish reportedly contributed backing vocals for 702. Early on Sunday, Kameela Williams wrote on Instagram that she was "devastated [and] heartbroken" by Grinstead's death.

"I struggled with this post because to me this isn’t real," Williams stated on Instagram.

"There’s a lot I want to say, but there’s no way to say what your heart hasn’t fully accepted. It’s hard to acknowledge this is even happening."

She added, "I know you’re feeling better now and hugging your twin Orish which makes me smile cus [sic] I know how much you missed her."