Yeyep is Your Go-to Source for All the Latest Entertainment News, from Movies and TV Shows to Music and Fashion.
⎯ 《 Yeyep • Com 》

'Not a fan of Second Chance Tournament': 'Jeopardy!' Season 40's 'bland' new format leaves Internet divided

2023-10-02 10:50
This comes after showrunner Michael Davies announced that 'Jeopardy!' Season 40 will use recycled clues written before the WGA strike
'Not a fan of Second Chance Tournament': 'Jeopardy!' Season 40's 'bland' new format leaves Internet divided

CULVER CITY, CALIFORNIA: Not just the studios and show producers but many have come to realize the importance of Hollywood's writers after they all decided to strike for their labor rights.

This now includes the fans of 'Jeopardy!', a game show that was significantly affected by the WGA strike.

For the past three weeks after returning from the hiatus, while the show kicked off with a new season, unfortunately, they had to change a plethora of things to run the show without the writers.

However, it looks like a large group of fans aren't pleased with the new format of 'Jeopardy!'

Recently, fans joined a Reddit discussion to review what they think of the season so far, and they all seem to be quite divided over it.

What are the changes made to 'Jeopardy!' Season 40?

In following the rules of the WGA strike, 'Jeopardy!' producers decided to rely on recycling clues for the trivia show despite green lighting a new season.

They also started Season 40 with contestants of Season 37 with the Second Chance tournament and are set to kick off Champion's Wildcard on October 2 which will go on until December 18.

This will also feature contestants from Seasons 37 and 38.

Following this, 'Jeopardy!' would still be left with the Tournament of Champions (ToC), which was postponed because of the contestants boycotting the show in solidarity with the writers.

Now that the WGA has been able to negotiate for their rights, the viewers can expect the return of ToC right after the already announced tournament.

So, it is definitely going to take a while before 'Jeopardy!' will be able to go back to normal, with new contestants, clues, and champs every day.

It can be speculated that the majority of this season will be spent recovering from the effects of the strike.

However, while, the game show might have dedicated fans, several of them have found themselves not enjoying these tournaments as much.

'Jeopardy!' Season 40 fans are 'tired' of the new format

A Reddit discussion broke out a conversation over whether 'Jeopardy!' fans have been enjoying it just as much as before. While some did, most of them have noticed a major dip in their excitement for the show.

Most fans empathized with the old players getting another chance to be on the show, but they seem to miss the regular format of the show.

A user wrote, "I’m always super excited to watch Jeopardy each day, and this week for the first time in years I actually missed a few episodes and didn’t super regret it. It’s not the contestants fault at all, glad they’re all getting their second chance."

Another one said, "I'd really like to see new players. I'm tired of the tournaments. I'm happy for the contestants who, as Ken says, thought they'd played their one and only Jeopardy game a few years ago, but now that the strike is over it's time to get this season started."

Some also had complaints with the quality of the clues which have seen a noticeable dip in quality without the writers.

A 'Jeopardy!' fan also added, "I haven't specifically noticed any repeat questions that I remembered from before, but I can tell that these questions aren't the "best of the best"."

"This season’s start is really bland for me," another user shared their sentiments, "It feels like they used all the old clues that got rejected in past seasons, you know, the ones that just were not good enough to make the show."

Despite this, 'Jeopardy!' has seemed to retain its fans who have been watching the show for years and continue to love it just as much.

"To me, watching Jeopardy! is generally all I can ask for," a fan commented, "I wouldn't be able to tell apart if they were recycled, only some streakers who had memorable responses or answers would cross my mind."

Another one wrote, "It makes no difference in terms of my enjoyment of the show. In fact, I had been feeling that some of the questions had become very obscure and unknowable to the contestants."