Yeyep is Your Go-to Source for All the Latest Entertainment News, from Movies and TV Shows to Music and Fashion.
⎯ 《 Yeyep • Com 》

Is Mary Lou Retton OK? US Olympic Committee working to provide financial aid to legendary athlete as she remains in ICU

2023-10-14 05:19
Mary Lou Retton’s daughter McKenna Kelley first shared the news of her mother’s health in a post on her Instagram Story
Is Mary Lou Retton OK? US Olympic Committee working to provide financial aid to legendary athlete as she remains in ICU

HOUSTON, TEXAS: The US Olympic & Paralympic Committee have voiced their support to Mary Lou Retton. According to People, the organization said it is working to “expedite” financial assistance for the Olympic gold medalist who is battling a rare form of pneumonia and is uninsured, her family said earlier this week.

"Upon learning of Mary Lou's condition, we immediately took action to expedite the application process for her family to receive assistance," the USOPC statement reads.

"We are currently working through the necessary details in real-time and have reached out to Mary Lou’s family to offer our assistance," the statement added.

Mary Lou Retton is the first American woman to win a gold medal in gymnastics

"Mary Lou Retton has been an incredible icon and a source of inspiration in the US Olympic movement. Her groundbreaking achievements, particularly as the first American woman to win a gold medal in gymnastics, have left an indelible mark on the sports landscape", the statement added.

"Retton's relentless spirit, verve, and dedication continue to inspire countless athletes across the country, embodying the true spirit of the Olympics," it continued.

The statement concluded, "We all hold her in our hearts during this challenging time and are hopeful for her to make a full recovery. Our thoughts and best wishes are with her and her family. We know that if anyone can tackle challenges with strength and grace, it's Mary Lou."

Mary Lou Retton's daughter McKenna Kelley first shared the news of her mother's health

On Tuesday, October 10, Retton’s daughter McKenna Kelley first shared the news of her mother’s health in a post on her Instagram Story which included a link to a fundraising page on Spotfund.

"My amazing mom, Mary Lou, has a very rare form of pneumonia and is fighting for her life," she wrote in a message on the fundraising page.

"She is not able to breathe on her own. She’s been in the ICU for over a week now. Out of respect for her and her privacy, I will not disclose all details. However, I will disclose that she is not insured," the message read.

The family has since been blessed with continuous support from fans around the world, they said.

The campaign had raised just over $400,000 as of Friday, October 13. Retton shares McKenna as well as daughters Shayla, Emma and Skyla with ex-husband Shannon Kelley.

What did Mary Lou Retton's eldest daughter say?

“Our number one concern is the well being of our mom,” Schrepfer said, adding "That being said, being by her side is our first priority.”

Schrepfer added that her mother is “still fighting,” in a video on Instagram on Wednesday, October 11 and showed her appreciation for the outpouring of love.

“My sisters and I are overwhelmed — overwhelmed,” Shrepfer said, adding “We didn’t even realize that there’s so many people out there that love her just as much as we do and it’s been a really hard time for our family."

She continued, “And so just seeing that people love her like that, showing her that support has just meant the world to us and to her, so thank you.”

Tags news