Yeyep is Your Go-to Source for All the Latest Entertainment News, from Movies and TV Shows to Music and Fashion.
⎯ 《 Yeyep • Com 》

'It was traumatic': Sofia Vergara on how thyroid cancer diagnosis at 28 utterly changed her life

2023-05-31 17:48
At age 28 in 2000, Sofia Vergara received a devastating diagnosis and had to undergo thyroid removal surgery
'It was traumatic': Sofia Vergara on how thyroid cancer diagnosis at 28 utterly changed her life

BEVERLY HILLS, CALIFORNIA: Sofia Vergara is accustomed to attention thanks to her attractive curves and exuberant attitude. However, the 'Modern Famly' star hasn't always had it so well. She received a thyroid cancer diagnosis in 2000 and had thyroid removal surgery. She is consequently hypothyroid and requires medication to address it.

The 'America's Got Talent' judge found out she had potentially fatal illness when she was 28 years old. The actress discussed the value of cooperation in the fight against cancer during the webcast Stand Up To Cancer in 2021, as per E! News.

Sofia Vergara's thyroid cancer story

"At 28 years old during a routine doctors visit, my doctor felt a lump in my neck," she recounted at the Stand Up To Cancer 2021 event. "They did a lot of tests and finally told me that I had thyroid cancer. When you're young and you hear that word cancer, your mind goes to so many places, but I tried not to panic and I decided to get educated. I read every book and found out everything I could about it," Vergara added.

Reportedly, Vergara traveled to Miami with her son, Manolo, seeking a career in TV hosting after getting into an early marriage at the age of 18 and divorcing 2 years later. During a routine medical examination, the doctor revealed something unexpected. She remembered, "He felt a lump in my neck."

Vergara's thyroid cancer was discovered in a series of tests over the course of the following few weeks. "It was very traumatic," she said. "I was young. I had a young son. But I tried not to panic. I decided to take charge and inform myself. Of course, I couldn't Google thyroid cancer from the comfort of my house back then, so I went to bookstores and found out everything I could about it"

She was informed that she would need to have her thyroid gland surgically removed. The tiny, butterfly-shaped organ, located at the base of the neck, produces a hormone that aids in regulating a variety of bodily processes, including heart rate, temperature, how calories and vitamins are used, and more.

It took Vergara nine more years before she would play Gloria in the popular ABC series. Vergara, now 50, was one of the fortunate patients who discovered the illness early and credited her medical team and family for their support during her recovery. Vergara is still cancer-free over two decades later, but she has a constant reminder in the form of a tiny lavender pill she takes every morning to compensate for the loss of her thyroid.

Sofia Vergara is up for 'America's Got Talent' season 18

Vergara is set to play a "ruthless" real-life drug lord in Netflix's new drama 'Griselda' alongside judging on season 18 of 'America's Got Talent'. When the beloved judge failed to appear on the 'AGT' offshoot 'All Stars', viewers were reportedly worried that Sofia had left the contest. However, fans rejoiced when the 'Modern Family' alum appeared on the Season 18 premiere of 'AGT', which aired on Tuesday, May 30 on NBC.

The good news came only a few days after Vergara shared a new Instagram video with her niece, Claudia Vergara. The judges' dais will remain the same this summer, with executive producer Simon Cowell and seasoned judge Howie Mandel at the end. Along with Sofia Vergara, who took a break from the show while it was airing earlier this year, Heidi Klum also makes a comeback.

Tags news epcelebs