Yeyep is Your Go-to Source for All the Latest Entertainment News, from Movies and TV Shows to Music and Fashion.
⎯ 《 Yeyep • Com 》

'Isn't this what all actors do?': Sydney Sweeney slammed for moaning she had to 'fight' to get a role in 'The White Lotus'

2023-05-30 14:17
Sydney Sweeney revealed she had to 'fight' for her roles in 'Reality' and 'The White Lotus' after being typecast as Cassie Howard of 'Euphoria'
'Isn't this what all actors do?': Sydney Sweeney slammed for moaning she had to 'fight' to get a role in 'The White Lotus'

LOS ANGELES, CALIFORNIA: Do not judge a book by its cover, and certainly do not judge Sydney Sweeney by seeing just one of her onscreen characters. Sweeney, 25, has achieved the remarkable feat of garnering double Emmy nominations in 2022 for her diverse roles in the shows ‘Euphoria’ and ‘The White Lotus’. While one may think it was an easy task for the already-established star of ‘Euphoria’, known for playing the sexually uninhibited Cassie Howard, to get cast, they might be wrong. Sweeney revealed that landing the roles of the deglamorized government official Reality Winner for 'Reality' or the spoiled teen Olivia Mossbacher in ‘The White Lotus’ was not an easy task and that she had to "fight" for them.

‘The Handmaid’s Tale’ star, while awaiting the release of HBO’s ‘Reality’ where she is portraying the character of an ex-Air Force personnel-cum-government whistleblower, revealed in an interview that she had to “fight” for the roles that are “different” and would “surprise” people. Moreover, the ‘Everything Sucks!’ actress said she had to break through the stereotypes under which she had been categorized after playing Cassie Howard in 'Euphoria'.

READ MORE

Sydney Sweeney enjoys quality time with beau Jonathan Davino amid affair rumors with co-star Glen Powell

'Unwanted sexual attention': Psychologist slams sexist remarks about Sydney Sweeney's figure

‘I had to audition for it’

“There’s always people who see me as Cassie or see me as Olivia,” Sweeney shared her problems with being typecast in an interview with Variety. Before her appearance as Reality Winner in HBO’s ‘Reality’ she has often been stereotyped into playing glamorized teenagers and been overlooked for more layered roles. Sweeney kept receiving offers for similar roles. She said, “They send me scripts that are just like that.”

However, as the greatest successes come with the greatest battles, Sweeney had to fight tooth and nail to get her desired roles. She revealed, “It’s the ones I have to fight for that usually are the ones that I want that are different, like Reality,” adding, “I had to audition for it. I had to put myself on tape and send in my audition just like everybody else.”

Sweeney also had to convince the showrunners of her vast acting range for ‘The White Lotus’. “It was the same for White Lotus," said the young star, before elaborating, “They didn’t think that I was right for White Lotus because I did ‘Euphoria.”

She explained her ordeals by saying, “So I put myself on tape, I auditioned for ‘White Lotus’ just like everybody else and had a call back like everybody else. I could get offered roles that are similar to the ones that I’ve played, but the ones that are different, the ones that surprise people that I do, are the ones that I usually have to fight for.” She elaborated that in order to obtain the roles that would challenge her potential as an actress, she has to fight the hardest.

'Aint most actors have to do this…?'

Netizens, however, did not take kindly to her statement as they questioned the extent of her struggle. One fan said, "“Fight” lmao she auditioned like a normal person." Another opined, "This role hardly did anything for her career and was insignificant in the season, she literally played the same stereotypical white teenage role it was hardly worth anything to fight for or surprising abt her character."

"I’m glad that cute girls have easy jobs. They shouldn’t have to work hard," commented a third user.

One remarked, "Aint most actors have to do this…? lmao." While another said, "Breaking news, actor has to audition for role."

One user added, "Isn’t this what all actors do? Unless you’re like way A-list like Angelina Jolie or other established actor, you have to work your way up and aren’t going to get handed roles."

This article contains remarks made on the Internet by individual people and organizations. MEAWW cannot confirm them independently and does not support claims or opinions being made online.