Yeyep is Your Go-to Source for All the Latest Entertainment News, from Movies and TV Shows to Music and Fashion.
⎯ 《 Yeyep • Com 》

The Weeknd: 5 unknown facts about singer who changed his name to Abel Tesfaye

2023-05-17 15:49
'I’ll still make music, maybe as Abel, maybe as The Weeknd. But I still want to kill The Weeknd. And I will. Eventually,' the 'Blinding Lights' singer said
The Weeknd: 5 unknown facts about singer who changed his name to Abel Tesfaye

LOS ANGELES, CALIFORNIA: Grammy Award-winning singer The Weeknd now goes by his birth name, Abel Tesfaye, on social media. In W Magazine's cover story, he hinted that he would be working on his final album under his stage name as his fans realize that he is thinking of releasing music under a new moniker. Recently, the singer changed his name on Twitter and Instagram to his birth name, although his username handles on both social media platforms remain "The Weeknd".

Tesfaye told W Magazine, "I’m going through a cathartic path right now. It’s getting to a place and a time where I’m getting ready to close The Weeknd chapter." He added, "I’ll still make music, maybe as Abel, maybe as The Weeknd. But I still want to kill The Weeknd. And I will. Eventually. I’m definitely trying to shed that skin and be reborn." Although much is known about the singer already, here are some unknown facts about him.

RELATED ARTICLES

The Weeknd's fans giddy over hearing singer's voice for the 'first time' in backstage video from Miami concert

The Weeknd holds girlfriend Simi Khadra's hand in rare appearance after partying with pals in LA

5 unknown facts about Abel Tesfaye aka The Weeknd

He worked in an American Apparel store

In his early days while first making music, Tesfaye held down a job at American Apparel. In a profiling by New York Times, he said, “My anonymity was so complete, that my co-workers at American Apparel would listen to my music while I was working without realizing it was mine.”

His Inspiration

American singer and songwriter Barry Manilow is Tesfaye's inspiration. Before going into the studio, Tesfaye always listens to his songs like 'Copacabana'.

Mystery behind his stage name

According to ET Canada, Tesfaye couldn’t use the stage name "The Weekend" because it was already taken by a pop-rock band in London, Ontario. So, he decided to drop the ‘e’ and went with "The Weeknd".

Philanthropist and humanitarian

The Weeknd received the Canadian Music Week Allan Slaight Humanitarian Spirit Award in 2022 in honor of his significant contributions to charitable organizations. A Canadian artist, duet, or group who has demonstrated a dedication to social engagement and humanitarian causes is honored with this award.

A star in his own HBO series

The Weeknd is developing a series with HBO called 'The Idol' which is all set to stream on June 4, 2023. The series, which centers around a female pop singer who falls in love with a mysterious Los Angeles club owner heading a covert cult, will feature The Weeknd as the lead as well as a co-writer.

Tags news epcelebs