Yeyep is Your Go-to Source for All the Latest Entertainment News, from Movies and TV Shows to Music and Fashion.
⎯ 《 Yeyep • Com 》

Maren Morris hits back at 'recently unemployed' Tucker Carlson during GLAAD Awards acceptance speech

2023-05-15 15:15
'That made me feel a little cool, but I don’t want to gloat. I would never insult the recently unemployed,' Maren Morris said
Maren Morris hits back at 'recently unemployed' Tucker Carlson during GLAAD Awards acceptance speech

LOS ANGELES, CALIFORNIA: Maren Morris became the first country artist to ever win the GLAAD Excellence in Media Award on Saturday night, May 13, and she accepted her trophy in person at the GLAAD Media Awards ceremony which was being held in New York. Maren Morris seemed to believe in "clearing things out" as she took a deep jab at Fox News' commentator Tucker Carlson, who once called her a "lunatic country music person" on the show.

While talking about the experience of Tucker bad-mouthing her, Morris shared her side of the story in her speech and said, "I felt a little bada** taking Tucker Carlson's calling me a lunatic for standing up to transphobia, turning it into a t-shirt and raising $150,000 for LGBTQ+ charities. Yeah. That made me feel a little cool, but I don’t want to gloat. I would never insult the recently unemployed." the country singer said from the stage in her award acceptance speech.

READ MORE

Jennifer Coolidge jokes she is 'surrounded by gays again' as she accepts GLAAD award from Jane Lynch

'31st Annual GLAAD Media Awards': Air date, time, where to watch, performers and all you need to know about the virtual event

What was the feud between Maren Morris and Tucker Carlson?

So, the saga started last year in 2022 when Morris was caught in the middle of an ugly feud with social media influencer Brittany Aldean, the wife of country singer Jason Aldean. Brittany had reportedly shared something transphobic on her social media and Morris was clearly against it and stood by her words. But, later that year, the influencer Brittany Aldean was given a platform by Tucker Carlson to explain herself, and both the TV commentator and Brittany took the opportunity to bad mouth Maren Morris. So, now Morris got the platform to explain herself and she did, rightfully so.

In her acceptance speech, Maren Morris shared how the LGBTQ+ community embraced her and said, "I have heard countless times over the years that I’m one of the brave voices in country music but that is not true," she said. "I'm not brave, stubborn to the point of delusional, yes, but not brave. Making the right decision shouldn't take bravery or courage. It shouldn't take heroic effort to want basic equal rights for everybody. I'm a straight white woman, I'm fine. But leaving your house knowing you can face violence just for being who you are, risking your life just for walking down the street, that is bravery."

Carlson was fired by Fox News in April

Tucker Carlson was asked to leave his job at Fox News in April, in what was described as a "mutual decision." Tucker's exit wouldn't have come at the worst time when it collided with the network paying off $787.5 million to Dominion Voting Systems to settle the election software company’s scandal claim.