Yeyep is Your Go-to Source for All the Latest Entertainment News, from Movies and TV Shows to Music and Fashion.
⎯ 《 Yeyep • Com 》

How did DJ Casper die? Creator of iconic dance track 'Cha Cha slide' was 58

2023-08-09 00:51
DJ Casper leaves behind a legacy of musical dance moves that are still most played at gyms, weddings, and bar room dance floors
How did DJ Casper die? Creator of iconic dance track 'Cha Cha slide' was 58

CHICAGO, ILLINOIS: DJ Casper, the master behind the hit track 'Cha Cha Slide', died at the age of 58. Leaving behind a legacy of musical dance moves which is still most played at gyms, weddings, and bar room dance floors, the singer died on Monday, August 7.

Originally created in 1998 under the title 'Casper Slide Pt 1', the music was initially intended to use as an aerobic track for his nephew who is a personal trainer, and to play the track in his fitness class.

The musician from Chicago, whose original name was Willie Perry Jr, later created an updated version of the song as 'Casper Slide Pt 2' under Casper's stage name, Mr C the Slide Man, and the infectious tune gained popularity worldwide.

How did DJ Casper die?

On Monday evening, the musician's wife, Kim, told that Casper who has battled kidney and liver cancer for the past seven years succumbed to the disease on Monday morning.The singer has previously reflected on his battle with cancer.

"They diagnosed me in 2016 with two kinds of cancer, which is renal and Neuroendocrine, which is kidney and liver," said Casper. "They went in to try to do surgery, and they found out the kidney was connected to the main artery, so they decided not to do it and just treat it," he added.

Talking about his weight loss and trouble eating, Casper said, "I used to weigh 236 pounds, and I think I’m about 60 pounds less," and added, "If you know me, you know I’m not going to stop. I’m going to continue to go. I’m going to continue to go until I can’t go."

According to Guardian, Casper also faced health struggles at the age of 22 when he had a brain aneurysm and underwent eye surgery for his detached retinas. In 2019, the singer updated that his cancer was in remission but the disease later returned.

Casper's final interview

In his final interview in May, DJ Casper told ABC7 about how 'Cha Cha Slide' receiving international acclaim was unexpected. "When I first did it, I did it as an aerobic exercise for my nephew at Bally’s. From there, it just took off. Elroy Smith from WGCI grabbed ahold of it," said Casper.

"I have one of the biggest songs that played at all stadiums: hockey, basketball, football, baseball; they played it at the Olympics," the musician said of his song being a favorite at different events all over the world. "It was something that everybody could do," he said.

Offering words of encouragement to others struggling with cancer, Casper said in May that, "Anybody that’s going through cancer, know that you have cancer and cancer does not have you. So, keep on doing the ‘Cha Cha Slide.' "

Tags news