Yeyep is Your Go-to Source for All the Latest Entertainment News, from Movies and TV Shows to Music and Fashion.
⎯ 《 Yeyep • Com 》

Tristan Tate demands his cut in slavery reparations declared by Lloyd insurance company, Internet says 'the West is doomed'

2023-11-10 19:59
Tristan Tate says he will call his lawyer to get his cut in Llyod's slavery reparations as he is a 'descendant of slaves'
Tristan Tate demands his cut in slavery reparations declared by Lloyd insurance company, Internet says 'the West is doomed'

BUCHAREST, ROMANIA: Tristan Tate, the outspoken and attention-grabbing social media influencer, recently made waves on the platform 'X' (formerly Twitter) by advocating for his share of the slavery reparations announced by London's Lloyd Insurance firm.

In an earlier tweet, Tristan Tate asserted that he was a descendant of African-American slaves, a statement that garnered significant backlash from his detractors.

Tristan Tate asserts he will call his lawyer to get his cut

In his recent tweet on the platform 'X', Tate shared an update from the page @GBNews, stating, "Lloyd’s announces it will pay £52million in slavery reparations."

Addressing this, Tate wrote, "I’m the descendant of slaves. What’s my cut? I’m deadly serious, going to give my lawyers a call. Free at last! #ReparationsAreStupid."

According to GB News, Lloyd’s of London has committed to pay £52 million ($63,525,020) for inequality initiatives, acknowledging its significant role in the transatlantic slave trade.

The 355-year-old insurance firm, situated in London, revealed plans to support black and other minority ethnic individuals in work and education.

As per GB News, Lloyd’s decision to invest millions in inequality programs comes after recent research exposed the company's historical involvement in slavery, as it underwrote enslaved individuals as part of a ship’s cargo.

The company, now recognizing this period as "shameful," aims to contribute to addressing racial inequalities.

Despite calls for direct reparations to the descendants of slaves, Lloyd’s has resisted, citing the difficulty of identifying specific individuals due to a lack of documentation.

GB News reports that research from John Hopkins University indicates London played a significant role in enabling the slave trade, with individuals in the insurance marketplace actively supporting and defending the system.

Archives reveal that senior figures at Lloyd’s were themselves enslavers and absentee owners of slave plantations. According to GB News, Lloyd’s chairman, Bruce Carnegie-Brown, stated, “I don’t think we can undo the wrongs of the past, but we can take action to address the impacts which are still seen today. And racial inequality is one of those impacts in UK society and around the world.”

As per GB News, Mark Lomas, Lloyd’s culture chief, added, “We’re aware that no one can properly atone for the past. But what we have done is set out a framework that we believe will make sustainable change over a long term period.”

According to GB News, Lloyd’s will allocate approximately £12 million ($14,663,820) to support the careers of black and ethnically diverse individuals in insurance.

An additional £40 million ($48,879,400) will be invested to stimulate growth in communities affected by historical enslavement, with funds distributed between the African Development Bank and the Inter-American Development Bank.

Tristan Tate's fans assert West is doomed

After Tate claimed that he deserved a portion of the slavery reparations, asserting his status as a direct descendant of African-American slaves, numerous users stepped forward to share their perspectives.

One user wrote, "The West is doomed."

Another user wrote, "So, what's the deal? You suddenly came into some inheritance or something?"

One user stated, "You know when tristan says he’s gonna call his lawyers over this he means that shit."

Tags news