Yeyep is Your Go-to Source for All the Latest Entertainment News, from Movies and TV Shows to Music and Fashion.
⎯ 《 Yeyep • Com 》

The Fall of a Hollywood Sweetheart: How 'Snow White' star Rachel Zegler went from hero to zero

2023-08-21 19:27
Rachel Zegler was chosen from among 30,000 applicants for the role of Maria alongside Ansel Elgort in 'West Side Story'
The Fall of a Hollywood Sweetheart: How 'Snow White' star Rachel Zegler went from hero to zero

LOS ANGELES, CALIFORNIA: From an ordinary school student to an overnight Hollywood sensation, Rachel Zegler's journey as Maria in 'West Side Story' was a whirlwind of fame. Yet, as stardom embraced her, she encountered its tumultuous side.

Her trajectory took a turn when she was cast in the Snow White remake and began expressing critical views about the original animated film. At 22, the actress fearlessly expressed she "hated" Disney's 1937 masterpiece and its portrayal of the "stalker" Prince, igniting passionate debates across social media.

Rachel Zegler invites criticism over 'Snow White' remarks

Zegler also declared that the new film would take a different direction, emphasizing that Snow White is "not going to be saved by the prince and she's not going to be dreaming about true love."

While her decision to portray Snow White as a Latina drew global attention and criticism, she responded resolutely. "Yes i am snow white no i am not bleaching my skin for the role (sic)," she wrote in a since-deleted tweet.

In defense of this bold choice, director Marc Webb lauded Zegler's "strength, intelligence, and optimism" as qualities that made her the perfect fit for the iconic role.

"Rachel's extraordinary vocal abilities are just the beginning of her gifts," he said in a statement to AFP, as per Daily Mail. Additionally, she candidly criticized her movie 'Shazam! Fury Of The Gods', admitting she only took the role because she "needed a job."

With the eagerly-awaited 'The Hunger Games: The Ballad of Songbirds And Snakes' and 'Snow White' in the pipeline, Zegler's forthright comments regarding the original film have raised concerns about their potential impact on box office performance.

PR expert Nick Ede suggested that Zegler "isn't the best person to promote the film" despite playing the main character because she has "actively chosen to spoil the narrative."

Rachel Zegler's Hollywood transformation

Before fame found her, Zegler, with a Colombian mother and Polish construction worker father, worked as a part-time wedding singer and excelled as an honor roll student. Chosen from among 30,000 applicants, she secured the role of Maria alongside Ansel Elgort in 'West Side Story' after a casting call for Latino and Latina actors.

The transition from a reserved 17-year-old high school student to a lead in a major film brought forth a mix of emotions. The night before her first day of filming, Zegler confessed to a friend, "I think I'm going to vomit. I'll check back with you later."

Overwhelmed by terror, she confided, "I could not sleep, could not do anything." She described her experience as "a fairytale come true" and recalled how she always kept a picture of the original film in her high school locker.

Even the late composer Stephen Sondheim praised her vocal prowess, likening it to that of a "nightingale." However, despite accolades, Zegler grappled with feelings of "impostor syndrome."

"I haven't done any other film projects, but I'm constantly pinching myself - there's no way this is my life," she said. "That comes with a lot of gratitude and a lot of anxiety and a lot of impostor syndrome."

Who was the first Disney princess?

In 1937, the world witnessed the release of 'Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs', introducing Snow White as the first Disney princess.