Yeyep is Your Go-to Source for All the Latest Entertainment News, from Movies and TV Shows to Music and Fashion.
⎯ 《 Yeyep • Com 》

Where is Richard Simmons now? Fitness legend shares rare update on 75th birthday

2023-07-14 04:50
'This is a big milestone. I just want to see him happy, which he is,' said Richard Simmons' representative Tom Estey
Where is Richard Simmons now? Fitness legend shares rare update on 75th birthday

LOS ANGELES, CALIFORNIA: Richard Simmons, who has stayed away from the public eye, has turned 75 years old and has shared a rare statement. "This is a big milestone. I just want to see him happy, which he is," said his representative Tom Estey.

The fitness legend began his career in fitness in the 1970s after he opened a gym in Los Angeles. His workout videos 'Sweatin' to the Oldies' and his vibrant costumes and personality gained him popularity in the '80s and '90s. The 75-year-old fitness icon regularly advocated exercise and health through his appearances on daytime and late-night shows.

Where is Richard Simmons now?

Since 2014, the reclusive fitness trainer has not been seen in public which has led to numerous speculations from his fans. In 2016, it was alleged that the workout icon was being held hostage by his housekeeper. However, in a phone interview on 'Today', Simmons denied the allegations, according to New York Post.

"No one is holding me in my house as a hostage. "You know, I do what I want to do, as I’ve always done, so people should sort of just believe what I have to say because, like, I’m Richard Simmons!", he said at the time sharing that the idea was "just very silly." Speaking of his housekeeper, Simmons said, "Teresa Reveles has been with me for 30 years; it’s almost like we’re a married couple." His brother Lenny also refuted the claims saying, "After 40-some-odd years, he just decided that he wants to rest."

A documentary titled 'TMZ Investigates: What Really Happened to Richard Simmons' was released in 2022. The documentary explained that the knee surgery that he underwent stopped him from exercising. It was one of the reasons behind his absence and he claimed that it led him to "sink into a deep depression" as he did not want to be someone who was remembered as a "frail, old guy." Following the release of the documentary, the television personality who did not address the allegations took to Facebook to simply write, "Thank you, everyone, for your kindness and love! Love, Richard."

Simmons denied claims that he transitioned to become a woman

In 2017, Simmons filed a defamation suit against The National Enquirer after he denied claims that he had transitioned to become a woman and was transgender. "I am male. I am not transgender. I have never sought nor obtained any medical treatment or procedure designed to transition from male to female," Simmons said at the time.

In 2021, the fitness personality released recordings of his older workouts to encourage his fans to be energetic and active during the Covid-19 pandemic. "We have had an overwhelming request for Richard to return in some way as a comfort to all dealing with the pandemic," a representative for Simmons said at the time. "We thought we would start by re-releasing some workouts and other inspirational content on his YT channel. Richard is very touched by the outreach," the representative added.

Tags news epcelebs