Yeyep is Your Go-to Source for All the Latest Entertainment News, from Movies and TV Shows to Music and Fashion.
⎯ 《 Yeyep • Com 》

What was Suzanne Somer's net worth? 'Three's Company' star was one of the first actresses to demand equal pay on set

2023-10-16 14:23
Suzanne Somers, the iconic actress and fitness guru, passed away at the age of 76
What was Suzanne Somer's net worth? 'Three's Company' star was one of the first actresses to demand equal pay on set

LOS ANGELES, CALIFORNIA: The entertainment world is mourning the loss of Suzanne Somers, who died just two days before her 77th birthday. The actress, best known for her iconic roles in 'Three's Company' and 'Step by Step,' had an estimated net worth of approximately $100 million at the time of her death, as per Parade.

Somers' illustrious career spanned multiple facets, from her memorable portrayal of Chrissy Snow on the hit show 'Three's Company' to her role as the matriarch in 'Step by Step.'

Her versatile talents extended into the fitness industry, where she popularized the infamous ThighMaster as its spokesperson. Beyond her on-screen endeavors, she thrived as a model, author, devoted mother, and loving wife.

Suzanne Somers demanded equality in Hollywood

In 1977, Somers broke into the limelight with her breakthrough role in 'Three's Company'. She played Chrissy Snow, the quintessential "dumb blonde" who shared an apartment with John Ritter's character Jack Tripper, and Joyce DeWitt's Janet Wood, a florist. Her portrayal was iconic, but her journey on the show had its share of challenges.

Her quest for pay equality with her co-star, John Ritter, made headlines. She demanded a salary that matched Ritter's impressive $150,000 per episode. However, the network responded with a paltry $5,000 increase, leading to her eventual departure from the series in 1980.

Somers' husband, Alan Hamel, revealed the tensions surrounding her departure, recounting a friend's warning: "They’re going to hang a nun in the marketplace, and the nun is Suzanne." Despite her exit from the show, Somers persevered, embarking on various projects to sustain her career.

From Playboy to the ThighMaster

Following her exit from 'Three's Company, Somers navigated the entertainment world through diverse avenues. She took on gigs in Las Vegas and even posed for Playboy, demonstrating her resilience to stay in the industry.

Nevertheless, her biggest breakthrough came in 1990 with the introduction of the ThighMaster. Somers not only endorsed this innovative fitness product in infomercials but also sold it directly to her audience.

Her remarkable success with the ThighMaster can be gauged from the fact that she stopped counting after reaching the remarkable milestone of selling "10 million" units. In a candid revelation on the Hollywood Raw podcast, she disclosed that her ThighMaster sales had raked in an astounding "$300 million" over the years.

Somers attributed her sales success to her ability to connect with her demographic, stating, "I sell to my age group, that’s what I know." Her honesty and authenticity also played a pivotal role, as she emphasized, "Always tell the truth... The public is smart, and they can smell BS."

Triumph in 'Step By Step' and battling cancer

Somers' acting career reached new heights in 1991 when she took on the role of Carole Foster-Lambert, the matriarch of a blended family in the hit sitcom 'Step By Step.' Her enduring charm and talent resonated with audiences, cementing her place in the hearts of viewers.

Despite her career achievements, Somers also faced personal challenges. She battled skin and breast cancer over the years, ultimately succumbing to breast cancer on October 14, 2023.

Throughout her struggles, she remained a source of inspiration for her fans, openly sharing her experiences and expressing her resilient spirit, saying, "This is not new territory for me. I know how to put on my battle gear, and I'm a fighter."

Somers' life and career encapsulate a remarkable journey that has left an indelible mark in the entertainment world. Her enduring legacy, demand for pay equality, and entrepreneurial spirit exemplified by the ThighMaster's success, will continue to be celebrated and remembered by fans and the industry alike.

Somers will always be remembered as a trailblazer who demanded equality and achieved excellence in a multitude of domains, leaving behind a lasting impact.

Tags news