Yeyep is Your Go-to Source for All the Latest Entertainment News, from Movies and TV Shows to Music and Fashion.
⎯ 《 Yeyep • Com 》

Victor Wembanyama wants to focus on his career after his bitter encounter with Britney Spears: 'I can't stand it'

2023-07-11 03:23
'In the past month, I think basketball wasn't even 50% of my schedule,' said Victor Wembanyama
Victor Wembanyama wants to focus on his career after his bitter encounter with Britney Spears: 'I can't stand it'

LAS VEGAS, NEVADA: Victor Wembanyama, who was the first overall pick by the Spurs in the 2023 NBA draft, has clearly stated that he wants to focus on his basketball career and avoid any media distractions, referring to his recent bitter encounter with pop star Britney Spears in Las Vegas last week.

“In the past month, I think basketball wasn't even 50% of my schedule. I can't stand it. I know it's a special moment in my life, but I'm glad it's over ... I just wanna hoop,” the 19-year-old French player told the reporters via Tomer Azarly, as reported by Sports Illustrated.

What happened between Britney and Victor?

It was previously reported that the "Princess of Pop" was allegedly slapped by a San Antonio Spurs security member when she tried to approach Victor at Catch restaurant which is located inside the ARIA Hotel. Britney was apparently having her dinner at the restaurant with her husband and two friends when she saw the young player entering the eatery. Being a fan of Victor, the iconic singer went to ask him if they could take a photo together but unfortunately, she was backhanded by the director of Spurs security which caused her to fall on the ground.

Although no one will face any charges in the incident, a video that surfaced online, backs Britney's claim that she tapped and did not grab the player. According to People, the Las Vegas Metropolitan Police Department said in a statement that the organization "has concluded its investigation of the alleged battery," and that "no charges will be filed against the person involved."

A police report obtained by the outlet claims after reviewing video surveillance that Victor's security guard took "his left hand to push Britney's hand away from the individual. [He] used enough force when pushing Britney's hand away that it caused her hand to hit her face, causing her sunglasses to fall off."

Victor Wembanyama speaks on the controversial incident

The French NBA spoke about the matter in front of reporters following the incident. "I saw the news obviously," he said in a video shared by KENS reporter Nate Ryan on Twitter. "I woke up to a couple of phone calls. Something did happen a little bit when I was walking with some security of the team to some restaurant. We were in a hall and there were a lot of people so people were calling me obviously." The Spurs player considered the incident to be "no big deal" after he returned to the hotel. When security told him the person was Spears, he said, "First I was like 'No, you're joking.' But yeah it turns out it was Britney Spears.”

'Keep away from social media'

Twitter users also expressed their opinions on this issue after Victor addressed the situation. One user wrote, "1 month in America and this nigga has had enough". Another opined, "Good luck because you have been so hyped. Learn to deal with it." Another user wrote "He continues to remind me of Lebron at that age as it pertains to his maturity" while another user commented, "Wise young man. So happy for him." "Keep away from social media, don’t care about Britney stans, focus on the ball", echoed one user.