Yeyep is Your Go-to Source for All the Latest Entertainment News, from Movies and TV Shows to Music and Fashion.
⎯ 《 Yeyep • Com 》

Golf luminary Eddie Merrins, famed instructor to Hollywood stars, dies at 91

2023-11-26 07:58
The pro at the Bel-Air Country gave lessons to big names from the industry, including Bing Crosby, Ringo Starr, George C Scott, Dean Martin, Celine Dion, and Jack Nicholson
Golf luminary Eddie Merrins, famed instructor to Hollywood stars, dies at 91

BEL AIR, LOS ANGELES: Eddie Merrins, the golfing guru of elite Hollywood stars has died at 91.

The pro at the Bel-Air Country gave lessons to big names from the industry, including Bing Crosby, Ringo Starr, George C Scott, Dean Martin, Celine Dion, and Jack Nicholson.

His son Michael launched a GoFundMe campaign to help the family with expenses before he breathed his last on Wednesday, November 22.

“I am fundraising for 'The Lil Pro' Eddie,' Eddie Merrins. It is important to prolong Eddie’s quality of life and enable him to live with dignity. He has spent his life, giving to others. 'Tis better to give than receive “ he always told me," wrote Michael.

A father, mentor, golf professional, coach, with a strong faith in God, always striving to improve the lives of others," he added.

Michael further wrote, “Now, this good man needs support. For almost 7 months Eddie has been in the hospital, and or, rehab facility. 'I just want to come home Michael, I just want to come home' is what he always tells me.”

How did Eddie die?

According to UCLA, where he served as a coach for 14 years, Merrins passed away while contending with a prolonged illness.

Some of his other famous students were Robert Wagner, Glenn Frey, Jerry West, Dennis Quaid, James Woods, Jimmy Connors, Craig T Nelson, Marcus Allen, Jerry Rice, Robert Goulet, and Pete Sampras.

“As golfers, actors and entertainers are an interesting lot. They’re never satisfied with their games, and after a round, they’re inclined to talk about all the shots they left out on the course,” he told Golf Digest in 2010, as per The Hollywood Reporter.

“Fred Astaire was almost manic in his quest for more distance. Sean Connery constantly checks his positions in the mirror, which I never thought was helpful — I call it a ‘vanity check.’ Jack Nicholson gives the impression that he doesn’t care how he plays, but he does," shared Merrins.

Merrins on celebrities' golfing abilities

He also talked about other actors’ golfing abilities, “Hugh Grant became immersed in the concept of the swing being three-dimensional. Celine Dion wanted a full discourse on my ‘Swing the Handle’ philosophy — and she wanted it in 10 minutes."

"Mikhail Baryshnikov fought mightily to improve his grip. Entertainers are perfectionists by nature. They have to be, I suppose,” he added.

In a 2019 interview, Merrins conveyed his appreciation for being bestowed the honor of instructing numerous individuals in his cherished sport.

He expressed, "It has been a great joy and a great honor to teach so many people this game and to help them learn to love it."

Tags news