Yeyep is Your Go-to Source for All the Latest Entertainment News, from Movies and TV Shows to Music and Fashion.
⎯ 《 Yeyep • Com 》

Selena Gomez slammed for saying her opinion 'won't change the world' but liking Amy Schumer's pro-Israel post

2023-10-31 16:49
Selena Gomez discusses her unwavering stance against war and her social media hiatus amid the Israel-Hamas conflict
Selena Gomez slammed for saying her opinion 'won't change the world' but liking Amy Schumer's pro-Israel post

LOS ANGELES, CALIFORNIA: Selena Gomez revealed on Monday, October 30, why she has refrained from taking a strong public stand on the continuing war between Israel and Hamas and why she has been avoiding social media.

The actress/singer has come under fire for taking a neutral stance while expressing her sadness at the loss of innocent lives in the continuing Israel-Palestine war.

Following Gomez's statement, Internet users slammed the 'Wolves' singer for not "spreading the word and raising donations to Palestinian families," despite having 430 million Instagram followers.

Gomez has expressed her condolences for the deaths in the Middle East conflict, but many have chastised the actress for not speaking up more while liking Amy Schumer's posts on the ongoing conflict.

Selena Gomez breaks her silence on Israel-Palestine conflict

The 31-year-old actress and singer posted on Instagram Stories, saying, "I’ve been taking a break from social media because my heart breaks to see all of the horror, hate, violence, and terror that’s going on the world."

"People being tortured and killed or any act of hate towards any one group is horrific."

The 'Only Murders in the Building' actress went on, "We need to protect ALL people, especially children and stop the violence for good," without indicating which side she agrees with.

"I'm sorry if my words will never be enough for everyone or a hashtag. I just can't stand by innocent people getting hurt. That's what makes me sick."

The singer modestly stated that her remarks wouldn't significantly alter the existing scenario, despite having over 430 million followers. "I wish I could change the world. But a post won't. Love, Selena."

Gomez mentioned last year that she gave up using the internet for more than four years and allowed her assistant to manage her account. She said that this was a decision that had a positive impact on her life, per Daily Mail.

Gomez's opinion is in line with the polarizing attitudes in Hollywood at the moment, as some actors are hesitant to speak out against the contentious matter.

Celebrities like Gwyneth Paltrow, Jennifer Aniston, Tom Brady, Amy Schumer, Michael Rapaport, and Israel-native Gal Gadot are among many who have openly expressed their support for Israel.

On Monday, the 24th day of the conflict, the Health Ministry in Gaza, under Hamas control, announced that 8,306 Palestinians had died in combat in the West Bank, as reported by the Associated Press.

Fans earlier called out Selena Gomez for liking Amy Schumer's post amid Israel-Hamas conflict

Selena fans earlier slammed the 'Back to You' singer for supporting "Israel and amy schumer’s dehumanizing posts."

One X user earlier slammed and wrote, "After selena gomez stayed silent as the most followed person on instagram w/ a platform that could make a difference for palestine, she supports israel and amy schumer’s dehumanizing posts. there’s no reason she should be the most followed after this. BOYCOTT RARE BEAUTY."

A second one wrote, "Amy Schumer being dumb is a known fact. But Selena Gomez falling for these written Instagram post than for the pictures and videos of Palestinian Children being killed and the reports of on site journalists makes me sick. Hope she is happy to contribute to genocide."

"Because selena gomez claimed she's an activist and wants to dedicate her life to philanthropy and then was found liking amy schumer's zionist posts. hope that helps!" claimed another one.

Another one explained, "Let's be honest, Selena Gomez of course has a huge platform and can have a huge impact and can help in spreading awareness but the only reason people are talking about her is because she liked Amy Schumer’s post, she brought the focus upon herself. She’s the only one responsible."

Netizens slam Selena for not 'raising awareness to your 430 MILLION followers'

Many have lambasted Gomez for taking a neutral side on the topic, despite her public statements expressing sympathy for the killings of civilians in the Middle East conflict.

One X (formerly Twitter) user wrote, "A post won’t physically change it. But raising awareness to your 430 MILLION followers can and will make huge impacts by spreading the word and raising donations to Palestinian families. I love you Selena, but this is a poor take."

A second X user slammed the singer and said, "So you posting to your 400+ million won’t change anything?! unless it’s for causes that you care about."

One enraged X user wrote, "Girl stfu, “i’ve had to take a break from social media because my heart is breaking”, you haven’t said shit and you’ve been liking post from amy schumer, whose literally been calling for genocide. i’m so over selena gomez as person like genuinely"

The online slamming continued with another one writing, "L take Common you literally have the biggest following on that platform and this is all you do?"

One more typed, "Being neutral while knowing all the facts is just like you are supporting the oppressers"

"I’m sorry but her ability to make herself the victim in quite literally every situation is very impressive, both sides are getting hurt in this conflict and she really wrote a essay about how SHE is the real victim.. I just cant," added another one.

One more slammed by saying, "I wish I could change the world. But a post won't.” Said by the one who has 430 million followers on Instagram"

Tags news