Yeyep is Your Go-to Source for All the Latest Entertainment News, from Movies and TV Shows to Music and Fashion.
⎯ 《 Yeyep • Com 》

Anthony Haden-Guest: Jamie Lee Curtis' brother-in-law throws himself a FUNERAL, poses dead under a shroud with pennies on eyes

2023-05-23 13:28
'I needed a dress rehearsal. And I don’t like to miss a party,' joked Anthony Haden-Guest as his friends paid him respects at the 'living funeral'
Anthony Haden-Guest: Jamie Lee Curtis' brother-in-law throws himself a FUNERAL, poses dead under a shroud with pennies on eyes

NEW YORK CITY, NEW YORK: A "living funeral" is something that no one would have ever imagined, yet Jamie Lee Curtis' brother-in-law who is an art critic not only conceived it but also organized one for himself. Anthony Haden-Guest, Curtis' husband Christopher Guest's half-brother, conducted his own funeral, before his death. This consisted of him lying on a bed with his eyes closed and having his loved ones say their goodbyes.

The 86-year-old art critic hosted the peculiar funeral for himself on Sunday, May 21, and the images of the strange occasion can be accessed on Daily Mail. A large group of Anthony's socialite friends came to reminisce on his remarkable life during the event held in the Upper East Side house of multimillionaire Libbie Mugrabi, who is both the current employer and the ex-wife of billionaire Andy Warhol art collector David Mugrabi. Jamie, 64, and Christopher, 75, who got married in 1984, were not spotted at the ceremony because Anthony who "doesn't like to miss a party in life hasn't spoken to his brother in a long time.

READ MORE

BFFs turned lovers? Jamie Lee Curtis and Melanie Griffith spark dating rumors after suspicious social media post

Jamie Lee Curtis, 64, divides Internet with cleavage-baring sheer gown for Vogue photo shoot

Who is Anthony Haden-Guest?

Anthony-Haden Guest is a writer, journalist, cartoonist, poet, and socialite who is of British and American descent. He has written multiple books and frequently contributes to prestigious magazines. He was born in Paris, raised in London, and has lived in New York for a very long time. He received an Emmy for creating and narrating a PBS program about the surge of rich "Eurotrash" immigrants into Manhattan, as per the website.

His publications include 'Bad Dreams', 'True Colors: The Real Life of the Art World', 'The Paradise Programme', and 'The Last Party: Studio 54, Disco, and the Culture of the Night'. He currently serves as "artist in residence" to Libby who gave a moving eulogy at the funeral.

Why did Anthony hold his living funeral?

Anthony Haden-Guest, who divides his time between New York City and London, told Daily Mail that he chose to hold the event in honor of his life even though he was still alive because he "doesn't like to miss a party." He quipped, "I needed a dress rehearsal. And I don’t like to miss a party"

Why didn't Jamie and Christopher attend the ceremony?

Anthony claimed that Christopher, 75, and Jamie, 64, did not attend his funeral as he has not spoken to his half-brother in years. He explained that, while they had no "falling out," they were "never close" and finally quit talking.

'I don't think people go to heaven or hell'

Photos from the funeral showed Anthony lying on a bed in the center of the room, his body covered by a white sheet. He lay totally still with his eyes closed, looking like a dead body, as his loved ones showered him with roses. The art expert even put pennies over his eyes, a custom usually observed at funerals for the dead and thought to be an offering to get them into paradise. The former Financial Times cartoonist responded, "I don't think people go to heaven or hell," when asked if he believes he will spend eternity in either paradise or hell. "Can you imagine how bored you’d be in heaven you’d want to leave after 20 minutes." Anthony obviously went all out for the occasion with nearly $10,000 worth of Cristal champagne served to his guests.

Tags news