Yeyep is Your Go-to Source for All the Latest Entertainment News, from Movies and TV Shows to Music and Fashion.
⎯ 《 Yeyep • Com 》

Was Ryan Gosling the first choice to play Ken? 'Barbie' casting directors reveal actors who could not play iconic role

2023-07-26 19:59
Even though Ryan Gosling bagged the role of the main Ken in the movie, there were other actors in the running
Was Ryan Gosling the first choice to play Ken? 'Barbie' casting directors reveal actors who could not play iconic role

LONDON, UNITED KINGDOM: Greta Gerwig's ‘Barbie’ boasts an impressive cast, including Margot Robbie, Issa Rae and Kate McKinnon. Casting directors Allison Jones and Lucy Bevan sought to match this star power for the roles of Kens, resulting in numerous actors competing for the parts.

Indeed, there was no shortage of actors competing for roles in the vibrant world of 'Barbie', eager to be part of the movie's pink paradise. However, it was Ryan Gosling who ultimately landed the role thanks to his ‘Kenergy’.

‘They were…. really bummed they couldn't do it’

In an interview with Vanity Fair, Bevan and Jones revealed that some fan-favorite stars missed out on the opportunity to join the project. Actors such as Daniel Levy, Ben Platt and Bowen Yang could not be a part of the film due to scheduling conflicts. Jones mentioned, "They were, I'm not kidding, really bummed they couldn't do it”.

During the casting process, Jonathan Groff was nearly selected for the role of outsider Allan, but ultimately the part went to Michael Cera. Jones told Vanity Fair, “Dear, dear Jonathan Groff was like, 'I can't believe I'm typing this, but I can't do Allan.'"

However, due to Covid-19 protocols, the entire cast of 'Barbie' had to stay in London for three months. It unfortunately impacted some actors' ability to join the production. Nonetheless, the team of Kens, led by Ryan Gosling, featured a diverse group of actors including Simu Liu, Kingsley Ben-Adir and Ncuti Gatwa. The goal was to create a cohesive and enjoyable group dynamic for the characters. Bevan expressed the importance of casting individuals who would get along well and contribute positively to the film's atmosphere.

Greta Gerwig turns box office pink

Over the weekend, ‘Barbie’ dominated the box office with an impressive debut, grossing a staggering $155M. The film's success achieved another remarkable milestone by breaking the record for the biggest opening weekend for a movie by a female director. This achievement surpassed the previous record held by the co-directors of ‘Captain Marvel’, Anna Boden and Ryan Fleck, whose superhero film earned $153M in ticket sales in 2019.

Tags news epcelebs