Yeyep is Your Go-to Source for All the Latest Entertainment News, from Movies and TV Shows to Music and Fashion.
⎯ 《 Yeyep • Com 》

Dwayne Johnson reveals he considered joining MMA in 1997 during 'JRE' podcast, fans say 'he would have gotten killed'

2023-11-18 13:59
Dwayne Johnson, during Joe Rogan's podcast, revealed contemplating an MMA career in 1997 despite WWE success
Dwayne Johnson reveals he considered joining MMA in 1997 during 'JRE' podcast, fans say 'he would have gotten killed'

AUSTIN, TEXAS: Hollywood actor and WWE legend Dwayne Johnson, also known as The Rock, made a sensational revelation during an episode of the 'JRE' podcast with Joe Rogan saying that he considered doing MMA in 1997 instead of pro-wrestling.

Without a doubt, Johnson is among the biggest international stars the WWE has ever created. He became well-known in professional wrestling and made a smooth transition to a successful acting career in Hollywood.

When Dwayne Johnson wanted to join MMA

Several times, Dwayne Johnson was the main attraction at WrestleMania, the biggest event in professional wrestling. He recently made an appearance on Joe Rogan's podcast, 'JRE', where he covered a range of subjects, including his ascent and decline in the business.

When thinking back on his early WWE career, the 'Fast & Furious' star acknowledged it wasn't all that wonderful at first, and he had doubts about how long he would stay in the business.

In 1997, Rock even entertained the idea of looking into other options, such as taking up mixed martial arts.

"Pride FC had just opened up in Japan, and I noticed all these MMA guys in Los Angeles heading over to PRIDE. At that time, I was making $150,000 wrestling 235 days a year. Meanwhile, those guys over in Pride were pulling in $250,000, $350,000, and even $500,000," Johnson said.

He went on to say that he didn't even enjoy his persona back then and that he wasn't initially well-liked by WWE fans.

He added, "I start talking to Ken Shamrock... Then, I run into Mark Kerr, and he tells me a little about Pride. I have this idea in my head, 'Well, maybe I should train in MMA, go to Pride, and make real money I don't have to smile for.”

Fans react to Dwayne Johnson's statement

The video of Rock declaring his intention to join Pride FC is now doing the rounds on the internet. The former WWE champion is being made fun of by pro wrestling fans and fight fans for his remarks.

A user wrote, "He would have gotten killed, MMA/ufc was a totally different breed back then" while one added, "Is he starting to become Hogan with these "stories"?"

A user also added, "His story sounds more legit tho, unlike hogan who said pride offered him to fight for them back in 1970’s? Hahahahahha."

A fan also mentioned, "Reading Ken's book I don't think the rock was ready for the pure, raw abuse that was mid 90s MMA, especially if it was through Ken's school."

Tags news