Yeyep is Your Go-to Source for All the Latest Entertainment News, from Movies and TV Shows to Music and Fashion.
⎯ 《 Yeyep • Com 》

How did Johnny Ruffo die? Tributes pour in for 'Home and Away' and 'The X Factor' star who was 35

2023-11-10 14:58
Johnny Ruffo died following cancer battle
How did Johnny Ruffo die? Tributes pour in for 'Home and Away' and 'The X Factor' star who was 35

PERTH, AUSTRALIA: Fans are in mourning as the ‘Home and Away’ star Johnny Ruffo died of cancer aged only 35.

His family has announced the Australian entertainer’s tragic death on his Instagram on Friday, November 10.

Ruffo’s family wrote on Instagram “It is with a heavy heart that today we had to farewell our beloved Johnny.”

Ruffo was surrounded by his loved ones as they said, “Surrounded by his partner Tahnee and family, Johnny went peacefully with the support of some incredible Nurses & Doctors.”

“He was a very talented, charming and sometimes cheeky boy. Johnny was very determined and had a strong will,” remembered his heartbroken family.

They celebrated his battle and added, “He battled all the way to the end and fought as hard as he could. Such a beautiful soul with so much more to give.”

They concluded the heartfelt post by saying, “We all love you Johnny and will remember you for all the joy you brought to our lives,” and adding, “Rest easy ❤️.”

A throwback to Johnny Ruffo’s career

Johnny Ruffo was born in 1988. He was catapulted to stardom after coming third in the music reality show ‘The X Factor’ in 2011, and signed a contract with Sony Music Australia.

Ruffo was also a participant in the celebrity dance reality show ‘Dancing With The Stars’. His role as the easygoing and likable personality Chris Harrington in the soap opera ‘Home and Away’ from 2013 to 2016 endeared him to the audience.

Some of his famous songs include ‘Take It Home’, ‘On Top’, ‘Broken Glass’, ‘Untouchable’, ‘Let’s Get Lost’, and ‘Brokenhearted’ among others.

Johnny Ruffo’s long battle with cancer

Ruffo revealed in 2017 that he was diagnosed with brain cancer. He had to get operated to remove a tumor.

In 2019, he revealed he was in remission. However, in November 2020, he shared with his fans that his cancer has returned.

Ruffo wrote on his Instagram at that time, “After an unexpected week of seizures and excruciating headaches it is with a heavy heart that I have to let you know I now have another huge battle ahead of me as my brain cancer has returned, though I will dig deep and beat this shit disease again.”

In 2022, he announced that his cancer was terminal. In an interview with Channel 10, he said, "Looking up my diagnosis and my tumour and... the average life expectancy was three years. For me its now been five years, so I'm already winning,” per BBC.

He continued, “At some point it is going to get me... My goal now is to try and help as many people as I can."

In August of the same year, he released his memoir, ‘No Finish Line’, where he wrote, “One of the saddest things about cancer is that even though it can feel like an isolating experience and that you’re the only victim, you quickly learn that it’s actually quite a large club that nobody asked to be part of.”

“Every day, I’ve found that identifying just one thing worth fighting for can give me the strength needed to pull my chin up and attack the day,” wrote Ruffo as quoted by The Guardian.

Ruffo is survived by his partner Tahnee Sims.

'Oh Johnny. A true battler'

Tributes started pouring in as the internet mourned Ruffo's tragic passing.

'The X Factor' host and Spice Girl Mel B wrote underneath the Instagram post, "My heart just broke."

Bonnie Anderson wrote, "What a man! You always knew how to light up a room Johnny! Sending ever hit of love to all of your loved ones! Absolutely heartbreaking."

Dannii Minogue remembered, "The cheekiest chap. His voice, smile and dancing feet will be missed by so many. Thinking of his family in this heart breaking time."

Referring to his long cancer battle, one of the fans said, "He fought so hard. Rest easy now Johnny."

Someone else said, "That's very sad. Way too young. RIP and thoughts with his family and friends."

"Very sad. Always had a smile even when he was really sick. RIP Johnny. Taken far too early," mourned another fan.

A heartbroken fan said, "Oh Johnny. A true battler. Condolences to all who loved him. Gone too young :(."

"RIP, so very sad. My brother passed from a brain tumour at age 40 after a 12 year battle. It’s such a terrible disease. My heart goes out to Johnny’s family," remebered another fan.

"R.I.P Legend, an entertainer, but a fighter, sending prayers to his poor family," eulogized another fan.

Someone else remarked, "Long fought battle. Rest peacefully Johnny, so brave till the end."

Tags news