Yeyep is Your Go-to Source for All the Latest Entertainment News, from Movies and TV Shows to Music and Fashion.
⎯ 《 Yeyep • Com 》

Did Alzheimer's kill Tony Bennett? Legendary singer openly talked about his long addiction to drugs

2023-07-22 01:46
'At first, it seemed like the hip thing to do, but as time went on it got harder and harder to refuse,' said Tony Bennett on his drug usage
Did Alzheimer's kill Tony Bennett? Legendary singer openly talked about his long addiction to drugs

NEW YORK CITY, NEW YORK: Tony Bennett died in his hometown, New York City, on Friday, July 21, while battling Alzheimer’s disease. The pioneer of pop music had an incredible career and even when he was in his late 90s, he continued to record songs. The ‘Rags to Riches’ crooner’s death was confirmed by his publicist, however, the cause of death was not mentioned. It is known that he had been diagnosed with Alzheimer’s disease in 2016 and that it ultimately took its toll on the artist.

Referred as the ‘world’s best vocalist’ by his pal late Frank Sinatra, Tony went on to sell millions of records in his unbelievable 80 years long career. He bagged 20 Grammys, and a lifetime achievement award as well. Another legend Sir Elton John, with whom he had collaborated paid his tribute, “So sad to hear of Tony's passing. Without doubt the classiest singer, man, and performer you will ever see. He's irreplaceable. I loved and adored him."

Did Alzheimer's kill Tony Bennett?

Since there was no cause of death given by Tony Bennett’s publicist Sylvia Weiner, it was natural for many to believe that it must have been his Alzheimer’s disease. But, it is worth recalling that the ‘Love for Sale’ singer had struggled with addiction to drugs. In his memoir 'The Good Life,' Bennett had written, "On top of everything else, the seventies drug scene was getting out of control." He continued, "At every big party I'd go to, people were high on something. Cocaine flowed as freely as champagne, and I soon began joining in the festivities. At first, it seemed like the hip thing to do, but as time went on it got harder and harder to refuse it when it was offered. Compounded with my pot-smoking, the whole thing started to sneak up on me."

Bennett lost his buddy Bill Evans to a drug overdose. “[It] made me think hard about my own drug use. I knew that somehow, something had to be done," he said.

'Sad, depressed and lonely'

In his 2016 memoir, ‘Just Getting Started,” he shared about his struggle with depression. "The Christmas season of 1965 was the worst I'd lived through since the time I was 10 and my father died. My wife, Patricia, and I had split up. I wasn't welcome at our family home in New Jersey, and I missed my two sons. I was living in a small, spiritless room in the Gotham Hotel and felt sad, depressed and lonely, yet too embarrassed to admit that to anybody and ask for companionship or or cheer. For me, the season was cold and gray," he said, reports Today.