Yeyep is Your Go-to Source for All the Latest Entertainment News, from Movies and TV Shows to Music and Fashion.
⎯ 《 Yeyep • Com 》

'Disgusting': Garth Brooks slammed for praising 'racist' Morgan Wallen at ACM awards

2023-05-12 18:48
Though Morgan Wallen wasn't present to receive his Male Artist of The Year award, the controversial singer received a standing ovation
'Disgusting': Garth Brooks slammed for praising 'racist' Morgan Wallen at ACM awards

LOS ANGELES, CALIFORNIA: Morgan Wallen won the Male Artist of The year at the Academy of Country Music Awards and fans are not happy. However, they were left even more disgusted when legendary singer Garth Brooks praised him. “Let's celebrate for Morgan Wallen,” Brooks said at the event.

Wallen achieved the honor by defeating other country music behemoths like Kane Brown, Luke Combs, Jordan Davis, and Chris Stapleton. Brooks was heard saying, "We all know what it takes to win this award, to win it is one thing, to not be here to get it must be killing him, so let's celebrate for Morgan Wallen.”

RELATED ARTICLES

'How do we get refunded?' Internet divided as Morgan Wallen cancels 6 more weeks of tour over vocal fold trauma diagnosis

'Doing better': Morgan Wallen back on stage as he reiterates apology for canceling Mississippi concert

Brooks also praised Wallen’s work ethic and “honesty.” While Wallen was not there to receive his award, he did receive a standing ovation from the crowd.

Wallen’s absence in the concert can be attributed to the fact that he has been mandated by doctors to rest his voice for six weeks to recuperate from "vocal fold trauma."

Why is Morgan receiving online hatred?

In January 2022, a video of Wallen was captured outside his home in Nashville where he could be seen using the N-word. The video led to widespread criticism. Later, Wallen tried to clarify what happened and apologized for his negligence. In a July 2022 appearance on 'Good Morning America', Wallen was heard saying, "[I] didn't mean it in any derogatory manner at all.” He added that he used the words only with a handful of people and did not know its full implications.

He further added, "I don't know how to put myself in their shoes because I'm not, but I do understand, especially when I say I'm using it playfully or ignorantly, it must sound like [I don't] understand.”

Moreover, in early 2023, Wallen was also accused of a breach of contract. One concertgoer filed a lawsuit against him after he canceled a performance at the Unversity of Mississippi just moments before its commencement. As Wallen was twenty minutes late to the concert, a giant screen announced that he would not be performing.

The suit was filed by an enraged audience member who said that Wallen breached the contract by breaking his own refund terms as they are “entitled to refunds of the out-of-pocket expenses they incurred in connection with the canceled performance." The suit further continued, "Even if ticket prices are refunded, no offer has been made to reimburse concertgoers for other out-of-pocket expenses they incurred in connection with the concert cancellation," before adding, "including transportation, lodging, food, merchandise sales, transaction fees, and other such expenses," reports Entertainment Weekly.

'A standing ovation to Morgan Wallen is disgusting'

"Garth Brooks said “honest men” then Morgan Wallen won #ACM," commented one dissatisfied fan. A second scathing response read, "Totally undeserved. Sure would know why it's okay to award a racist and an alcoholic as "male artist of the year". Makes the Academy look pretty bad." Someone else wrote, "No no no. I worry about a music genre that gives accolades to a man who sneers and degrades an entire race of people. It took years for the Dixie Chick's to be forgiven and they degraded 1 man. Shame."

Another sarcastic comment read, "Did he win the award for most slurs said too? Or has that not been announced yet." Someone else said, "Five honest guys, Garth? We got the everyman, a guy that got lost on his own property, the white and bearded guy, Stapleton (ok, he passes), and...well, Morgan Wallen." Another enraged social media user wrote, "Audience giving a standing ovation to Morgan Wallen is disgusting. So is Garth hyping him up."

This article contains remarks made on the Internet by individual people and organizations. MEAWW cannot confirm them independently and does not support claims or opinions being made online.

Tags news epcelebs