Yeyep is Your Go-to Source for All the Latest Entertainment News, from Movies and TV Shows to Music and Fashion.
⎯ 《 Yeyep • Com 》

'Speaking is important': Halsey praised by fans after admitting to being a 'coward' for silence on Palestine

2023-11-15 18:56
Halsey broke her silence over the Israel-Palestine war and affirmed her stance in a statement
'Speaking is important': Halsey praised by fans after admitting to being a 'coward' for silence on Palestine

LOS ANGELES, CALIFORNIA: Pop singer Ashley Frangipane, also known as Halsey, has faced criticism for not commenting on the ongoing war in Gaza, despite previously speaking up about it.

The singer finally addressed the issue in a statement posted on Instagram stories, clarifying that her political views have not changed.

In the post, Halsey opened up about her decision to remain silent on the Israel-Palestine conflict, responding to those who labeled her as a “coward” for not speaking out earlier.

She shared that she has been struggling to balance activism with family concerns, and cited past death threats during her tour as a key reason for her initial silence.

Halsey also acknowledged the influence of fear, in her decision to remain silent.

She admitted that some people have suggested that her silence is cowardice, and she agreed that it is to some extent.

The 'Colors' singer elaborated on the challenges she faced during her tour, where security measures, including snipers in the sky, were necessary due to "violent" and "threatening events" that even extended to swatting at her home.

What did Halsey share in her Instagram stories?

Halsey expressed regret for not voicing her support for the liberation of the Palestinian people earlier.

She affirmed her commitment to this cause despite her personal concerns.

Halsey emphasized that letting decisions made for her family hinder her from advocating for families enduring far worse violence would create dissonance.

Additionally, Halsey condemned violence, antisemitism, and Islamophobia. She underlined her unwavering commitment to the principles of freedom and safety for all.

The ‘Gasoline’ singer’s statement read, “I am, truthfully, exceptionally anxious about navigating my responsibility as a career activist as it pertains to my daily life off of social media: Being the mother of a small child and a member of my community, in addition to the contribution of my greater voice and platform The global conversation has reached a volatility that I’m having a hard time navigating here and offline.”

She continued, “During my last tour, I had a volume of violent and threatening events occur that resulted in my home being swatted multiple times and required the presence of snipers in the sky during most of the shows that summer. After that happened, I made a conscious decision to protect my family from people who plan to enact violence towards me in disagreement of my opinions.”

Continuing in the next IG story, Halsey stated that it didn't feel right, that her silence on the attacks on Palestine is preventing her from speaking out about families in Gaza who are victims of violence.

“However it doesn’t sit right with me that a decision I made for my own family is in turn keeping me from vocalizing support for families enduring far worse violence. Families caught between the brawling hands of a militarized government and a terrorist organization, and the diaspora of both parties trying to get through each and every day.” Halsey said.

She concluded her statement, saying, “I have no meaningful statement or excuse to make that could justify my weeks of silence this time around. And I deeply despise the culture of deflecting responsibility to save face in front of the audience demanding comment. So instead I’m coming here to call it for what it is, admit my regret, and reaffirm my stance regarding the liberation of the Palestinian people.”

Halsey praised for breaking silence on Palestine

After sharing her Instagram stories, Halsey mostly received messages of praise and expressions of support and understanding from her fans and followers.

As the Israel-Palestine conflict continues, many public figures, including Hollywood stars such as Natalie Portman, Dwayne 'The Rock' Johnson and Madonna have utilized their platforms to condemn the violence and express solidarity with the victims.

Numerous artists, including Michael Stipe, Dua Lipa, and Drake, have also joined the Artists4Ceasefire initiative, urging the US administration, including President Biden, to push for a ceasefire in the war-torn region.

The collective plea also addresses the safe release of hostages and a stop to aerial bombings, particularly considering the devastating impact on children in Gaza.

One user said, “Speaking is important.”

Another user wrote, “At least she held herself accountable. It takes a lot of courage to stand for Palestine. I’m glad she is doing the right thing now.”

Another person said, “I knew we could trust you Halsey.”

One user wrote, “This is why I'll always have respect and love for this woman”

Another user tweeted, “I understand that Halsey released a statement in support of Palestine and admitted that she didn't speak earlier out of fear. It takes a lot of courage to acknowledge one's regrets and stand up for what is right. It's important to support the liberation and rights of all people, including the Palestinian people. Let's hope more voices join in advocating for peace and justice.”

One user wrote, “This is why we love her.”

One user tweeted, “She's standing with the people affected in the Palestine. She's a queen right there, and she's standing with the truth.”

And finally, one user wrote, “Courageous more power to her.”

Tags news