Yeyep is Your Go-to Source for All the Latest Entertainment News, from Movies and TV Shows to Music and Fashion.
⎯ 《 Yeyep • Com 》

David Oyelowo reflects on meaningful bond with Oprah Winfrey at 'Lawmen: Bass Reeves' LA premiere: 'She's like a mother to me'

2023-12-03 09:57
The 47-year-old, who portrays the lead role of Bass Reeves, attended the Los Angeles premiere of his latest show
David Oyelowo reflects on meaningful bond with Oprah Winfrey at 'Lawmen: Bass Reeves' LA premiere: 'She's like a mother to me'

LOS ANGELES, CALIFORNIA: David Oyelowo is ticking one box after another!

The talented actor-director is currently gearing up for his miniseries 'Lawmen: Bass Reeves,' which has already garnered significant attention for its compelling storyline.

The 47-year-old, who portrays the lead role of Bass Reeves, attended the Los Angeles premiere of his latest show.

Oprah's role on making of David Oyelowo

When asked about his co-star Oprah Winfrey from the 2013 film 'The Butler,' the actor mentioned, "She's like a mother to me and has been since we did The Butler, where we actually played mother and son."

Oyelowo told People, "She's just been so supportive with advice, practically speaking, spiritually speaking, emotionally speaking."

He added, "She has been with me on this journey, this eight-year journey to getting not only Bass Reeves made but Selma made. She's one of the reasons that show, that film, exists."

Further recognizing the influence Oprah Winfrey had on him and the lessons on standing up for himself, he stated, "She taught me what advocacy looks like because she has advocated for me enormously, and that's something I'm now trying to carry into my own life as well."

Winfrey praises Oyelowo during 'Lawmen: Bass Reeves' premiere

During Friday's party on December 1, while hosting the event, Winfrey showered praise on the talented star.

She referred to Oyelowo as "such a lovely human being" and described him as "such a spirit-centered, giving, gracious human being. And I am so glad that he is receiving the rewards of his labor," acknowledging his career achievements.

In his speech, Oyelowo reflected on how he sees Oprah as a mother figure to him. "Over a decade ago, we played mother and son, and you have been that for me ever since," he told Winfrey.

He continued by revealing how the entertainment mogul supported him during a challenging time when his mother fell seriously ill.

"Two months before we started shooting Selma, my mom had a brain aneurysm and she went into a vegetative state, a state in which she stayed for three years before she eventually passed away," he shared. "It was the hardest thing I've ever been through."

Addressing Winfrey, he expressed, "You've been an incredible mother to me. I remember the first time we had a conversation in New Orleans while we were shooting The Butler, and you talked about how Quincy Jones and Sidney Poitier had been there for you, and we had only just met."

"And you said, 'I see something in you.' And you said, 'I'm going to be what they were for me to you,'" Oyelowo added.

Tags news