Yeyep is Your Go-to Source for All the Latest Entertainment News, from Movies and TV Shows to Music and Fashion.
⎯ 《 Yeyep • Com 》

Why wasn't Matthew McConaughey in 'Magic Mike' sequels? Channing Tatum says he was 'special' in first movie

2023-06-08 19:24
Tatum praised McConaughey's performance in the first film, reminiscing how the actor would eagerly watch his own scenes during the editing process
Why wasn't Matthew McConaughey in 'Magic Mike' sequels? Channing Tatum says he was 'special' in first movie

LOS ANGELES, CALIFORNIA: The film series 'Magic Mike' has evolved into a trilogy over a decade after the release of the first film in 2012. Channing Tatum, baring as much as ever, has brought his star-studded stripper saga to a close. However, despite Tatum reprising his role in the franchise's sequels, the absence of Matthew McConaughey as Dallas in the final film 'Magic Mike's Last Dance' stands out prominently.

Tatum revealed that McConaughey's absence from the subsequent 'Magic Mike' films can be attributed, in part, to his high regard for the first installment. "I didn't know if Matthew would want to do it," Tatum told ET. "He loves what he did in the first movie so much. He was like, 'I don't want to touch it.'"

'He was the star, he was the movie'

Tatum expressed admiration for McConaughey's portrayal in the film, recalling how the latter would eagerly skip through the movie's footage just to watch his own scenes during the editing process. "He was the star, he was the movie, it was special," Tatum said.

McConaughey's presence was limited to the first 'Magic Mike' film, but his impact on the series was huge; In the second movie, 'Magic Mike XXL', it was revealed that Dallas had left for Macau with "the kid", played by Alex Pettyfer. Dallas was once again absent in the final installment, 'Magic Mike's Last Dance'.

However, McConaughey's career skyrocketed during the time when the sequels were supposed to be filmed, as he became involved in high-profile projects such as 'Dallas Buyers Club', 'Interstellar', and 'True Detective' leaving little time for his return to 'Magic Mike.' But contrary to previous expectations, McConaughey was open to returning for the final 'Magic Mike' movie.

'It was a lot of fun doing the first one'

During a 2022 interview with Variety, the Oscar-winning actor revealed that he was eagerly awaiting a phone call to initiate discussions about his potential return as Dallas. "Channing Tatum, call me, bro!" he exclaimed, further clarifying that speaking to Tatum wouldn't immediately mean he would be back. "I don't know. I'd have to read [the script] first. It was a hell of a lot of fun doing the first one." While the details of what happened behind the scenes remain unknown, the absence of McConaughey in 'Magic Mike' sequels was disappointing for the fans.