Yeyep is Your Go-to Source for All the Latest Entertainment News, from Movies and TV Shows to Music and Fashion.
⎯ 《 Yeyep • Com 》

'I couldn’t do this circus anymore': Maren Morris doubles down on quitting country music

2023-10-05 08:21
Maren Morris also shared that she had asked her work should no longer be considered at country music award shows
'I couldn’t do this circus anymore': Maren Morris doubles down on quitting country music

LOS ANGELES, CALIFORNIA: Making big at an early age, Maren Morris has put her melodious country voice to rest for a while now.

After announcing her decision last month in September, the ‘Make You Say’ crooner further explained her tough decision, reports People.

What did Maren Morris say about leaving country music?

On Wednesday, September 4, Maren appeared on ‘The New York Times' Popcast’ podcast, “Couldn’t participate in the really toxic arms" of country music in Nashville,” she said.

"I love living in Nashville, I have my family. There’s a reason why people come there from LA and New York to write with us. It’s because we have amazing songwriters there. That’s not gonna change," the 33-year-old added.

"I couldn’t do this circus anymore — feeling like l have to absorb and explain people’s bad behaviors and laugh it off. I just couldn’t do that after 2020 particularly. I’ve changed. A lot of things changed about me that year," she added.

Maren Morris no longer wants to compete at Country Music Awards

When asked if she would ever return to country music, the star answered, "Leaving country music sounds like a bit of an exaggeration," adding “Certainly can’t participate in a lot of it and OK just doing my own thing."

"Come with me if you please. Everyone’s welcomed," she said. Maren further shared that she had asked her work should no longer be considered at country music award shows.

Earlier, ‘The Middle’ singer told The Los Angeles Times, “I’ve always been an asker of questions and a status quo challenger just by being a woman. So it wasn’t really even a choice."

She added, “The further you get into the country music business, that’s when you start to see the cracks. And once you see it, you can’t un-see it.”

Morris continued, "[Feeling] very, very distanced from the country industry and its politics. I thought I’d like to burn it to the ground and start over," she said of the genre, adding "But it’s burning itself down without my help."

Now, a pop-artist, Maren further said, “I’m trying to mature here and realize I can just walk away from the parts of this that no longer make me happy."

“Being one of the few women that had any success on country radio, everything you do is looked at under a microscope. You’re scrutinized more than your male peers, even when you’re doing well," she added.

Tags news