Yeyep is Your Go-to Source for All the Latest Entertainment News, from Movies and TV Shows to Music and Fashion.
⎯ 《 Yeyep • Com 》

Why did Kate Winslet roast Robert Downey Jr? 'Ironman' star recalls how audition for 'The Holiday' went terribly wrong

2023-07-19 15:27
Robert Downey Jr auditioned for the role of Kate Winslet's character's brother, Graham Simpkins, in 'The Holiday'
Why did Kate Winslet roast Robert Downey Jr? 'Ironman' star recalls how audition for 'The Holiday' went terribly wrong

LOS ANGELES, CALIFORNIA: Robert Downey Jr, renowned for his role as Iron Man in the Marvel Cinematic Universe, recently shared a surprising anecdote during his appearance on 'The Howard Stern Show'. The actor opened up about an audition mishap on the set of the 2006 film 'The Holiday', revealing how a remark made by actress Kate Winslet had deeply affected him.

During his conversation with Jimmy Fallon on 'The Howard Stern Show', Downey Jr reflected on his audition for Nancy Meyers' 'The Holiday'. He revealed that he and Fallon were called in as "seat fillers" to read opposite the female leads, played by Cameron Diaz and Kate. Aware that they were not the front-runners for the roles, Downey Jr auditioned for the part that eventually went to Jude Law, while Fallon went for Jack Black's role.

Why did Kate Winslet roast Robert Downey Jr?

Robert Downey Jr recounted the incident, sharing, "We both got called in just as seat fillers…[director Nancy Meyers] needed someone to read with the gals and we’re sitting there going, ‘It’s about to happen for us.’ And I was like, ‘I’ve got to have a better English accent than Jude Law at this point.’ And Winslet said, ‘That was the worst British accent I’ve ever heard.’ And I was like, ‘I’ll check out now, but I’m taking the gummy bears from the minibar.’”

Fallon, who was also present during the audition, expressed his admiration for Downey Jr.'s acting abilities. He added, “This was mind-blowing to me. I quit the business. I never went back. That was the last time I auditioned for a role.” Downey Jr reciprocated Fallon's compliment and spoke about his upcoming movie 'Oppenheimer', directed by Christopher Nolan. The film marks his return to a serious dramatic role.

'It’s the first I’ve heard of it'

Howard Stern, the host of the show, chimed in, expressing his belief, “That movie would have been so much better with the two of you guys.” The 2006 romantic comedy, which grossed $63 million at the box office, received positive responses from both audiences and critics. The movie's success led to rumors of a sequel, but Kate debunked those speculations, confirming that she had not been approached about a potential follow-up. “I read something about that, but it’s the first I’ve heard of it. I promise you not an agent or a representative or anyone from the first one around has had any conversation with me about that. Hand on heart, that never comes up.”

Tags news epcelebs