Yeyep is Your Go-to Source for All the Latest Entertainment News, from Movies and TV Shows to Music and Fashion.
⎯ 《 Yeyep • Com 》

Video of Oprah Winfrey helping out at Lahaina shelter goes viral, Internet asks 'where's Jeff Bezos' despite $100M fund

2023-08-13 17:54
Oprah Winfrey was seen distributing essentials to people at a rescue shelter while speaking to some of the survivors
Video of Oprah Winfrey helping out at Lahaina shelter goes viral, Internet asks 'where's Jeff Bezos' despite $100M fund

MAUI, HAWAII: Oprah Winfrey is reportedly helping people in Maui, Hawaii, who have been affected by the terrible wildfires, by donating to a local shelter and providing support. On Thursday, August 10, she assisted in distributing goods at the War Memorial Stadium in the Wailuku town of Maui.

On the other hand, Amazon founder, Jeff Bezos, and his fiancee, Lauren Sanchez, have committed $100M to aid the rebuilding efforts in Maui, Sanchez wrote on her Instagram account on Friday, August 11.

Despite his donation, Bezos could not be seen anywhere in the state helping the residents, which sparked questions among online users.

Oprah Winfrey helps survivors of Maui wildfires

Winfrey, 69, was seen in photos and videos posted on social media, distributing goods and interacting with locals, as per Hawaii News Now.

One photo showed Winfrey, a part-time resident of Maui, sitting on a bed looking worried as she spoke with locals who had to leave their homes earlier this week when fires started.

Winfrey told BBC, "It's a little overwhelming, you know, but I'm really so pleased to have so many people, you know, supporting and you know, people are just bringing what they can and doing what they can."

In another photo, she stood with four other evacuees, whose cheerful expressions suggested a fleeting moment of joy amid a terrible tragedy.

According to the relief organization Kakoo-Haleakala, the former talk show host, who has been visiting the island occasionally for at least 15 years, offered to send supplies including cots, blankets, and toiletries.

Jeff Bezos pledges $100M to Maui

Sanchez and Bezos have committed $100M to Maui. However, the couple was seen anywhere in Hawaii. Sanchez wrote on Instagram, "Jeff and I are creating a Maui Fund and are dedicating $100 million to help Maui get back on its feet now and over the coming year as the continuing needs reveal themselves."

As part-time Maui residents, Sanchez and Bezos purchased a 14-acre estate surrounded by acres of inactive lava fields.

Netizens ask where is Jeff Bezos?

NowThis News posted a video of Oprah on X, which had netizens asking about Bezos' whereabouts.

The media outlet posted, "Oprah, who has lived on Maui part time for years, was spotted at a local gym-turned-shelter dropping off supplies for displaced Lahaina residents. Other super-wealthy Maui part-timers include Jeff Bezos and PayPal founder Peter Thiel."

One netizen asked, "So where are Bezo’s and Thiel’s donations, hmmm?"

Another questioned, "Oprah is on the ground, what is Bezos and Thiel doing?"

A third exclaimed, "Lahaina needs and deserves this support For the nature it will take years to replenish."

Another wrote, "At first, I thought to myself. "Pff, yeah ok, for what?" But then you look at how genuine she is being. My first impression was shit. She, unlike many other influential people, is showing she cares. Not talking to the camera that records her."

Someone else wrote, "So good to see Oprah and her unwavering support for the Maui community. Her compassion shines thru as always. Much love to all of you from Oz."

Tags news epcelebs