Yeyep is Your Go-to Source for All the Latest Entertainment News, from Movies and TV Shows to Music and Fashion.
⎯ 《 Yeyep • Com 》

Carl Hiaasen: Jimmy Buffett's longtime friend says late singer was 'larger than life'

2023-09-04 20:26
Jimmy Buffett died on September 1, four years after being diagnosed with Merkel cell skin cancer
Carl Hiaasen: Jimmy Buffett's longtime friend says late singer was 'larger than life'

LOS ANGELES, CALIFORNIA: Author and journalist Carl Hiaasen, a close friend of Jimmy Buffett, reflected on the late singer's indomitable spirit in the face of his cancer battle.

Buffet, who died on September 1, remained "larger than life" and "invincible," despite being diagnosed with Merkel cell skin cancer four years ago, according to the 70-year-old novelist.

What is Merkel cell skin cancer?

Merkel cell carcinoma is a rare and aggressive type of skin cancer that starts in Merkel cells, which are responsible for the sense of touch.

It often appears as a painless, colored lump on the skin, usually in sun-exposed areas. This cancer grows rapidly and can spread to other parts of the body.

Early detection and treatment are crucial, and treatment options include surgery, radiation therapy, chemotherapy, or immunotherapy.

Carl Hiaasen talks about Jimmy Buffett

"I was with Jimmy in the Bahamas in October of 2022," Hiaasen told People in a new interview. "He was supposed to take it easy although he didn't know what that meant."

"He was fishing when a large lemon shark was heading for him. He had a drone up because he wanted a video of this experience. He was so excited because he wanted to put it on stage while he was performing during his next tour when he performed his song 'Fins'," Hiaasen said.

"The shark was really close but Jimmy was so excited. He was planning for where this video would go in his show. There was no way to slow him down!"

Hiaasen fondly remembered how Jimmy Buffett maintained his adventurous spirit throughout his battle with the rare form of skin cancer. Despite medical advice to "take it easy," Buffett embraced adventure, exemplified by his ride on a foil surfboard during the same trip.

"He just got up and disappeared even though he was told to take it easy. We couldn’t see him and were trying because we wanted to know where he went," Hiaasen recalls. "After five or more minutes, he came back, hopped off, and was as happy as can be."

"I truly thought he could beat this because he had such a phenomenal attitude. This is so hard for me to accept or talk about," Hiaasen added.

Hiaasen paid tribute to his friend on Instagram with heartfelt photos. He shared three pictures of Jimmy Buffett performing on stage and one of them together in an airplane cockpit, celebrating their close bond.

"Heart-crushing news to learn that @jimmybuffett’s gone," Hiaasen wrote on the capion.

"He was a close friend for almost 40 years. Nobody had more pure fun in life, or worked harder to share it with others. He lived true to his songs, and he was writing with joy until the end, tweaking the final cuts on a new album."

He continued, "Jimmy had one gear: moving at the speed of light, even in flip-flops. He was, literally and exuberantly, all over the map."

"Richly talented, wonderfully generous, and wildly passionate about the places he cherished – peaceful islands and harbors where he transported everyone who loved his music," he added.

He went on, "Still he was happiest on stage, whether it was a bar in Key West or center field at Fenway Park. I’d like to think that somewhere is a pristine stretch of Caribbean beach where we still might find – propped against a palm tree -- a fly rod and a Martin guitar."

"And, riding the waves, a familiar bionic pirate on a long board, grinning about all the cool shit he got away with. I’ll miss you, JB. Millions will. Thanks for the laughs, the adventures, and the unforgettable sound track," Hiaasen conclued.

Tags news