Yeyep is Your Go-to Source for All the Latest Entertainment News, from Movies and TV Shows to Music and Fashion.
⎯ 《 Yeyep • Com 》

Is Moriah Plath OK? 'Welcome to Plathville' star reveals why she ran away from cameras while growing up

2023-09-27 09:17
Moriah Plath says she avoided bringing up her alopecia with her family members for years
Is Moriah Plath OK? 'Welcome to Plathville' star reveals why she ran away from cameras while growing up

CAIRO, GEORGIA: Moriah Plath, star of 'Welcome to Plathville,' will reveal a terrible element of her life for the first time in the upcoming episode of the TLC series.

The reality star discloses that she suffered alopecia as a youngster in the episode titled 'Life's But a Walking Shadow...,' which will run on September 26 at 10 pm ET.

"When I was a little girl, when I was 3 years old, I lost all my hair for several years. Completely, not even eyebrows or eyelashes. I was completely bald," she admits in a confessional interview.

The 20-year-old, the second oldest of Barry and Kim Plath's nine children, goes on to describe her diagnosis and how it affected her confidence.

"The doctors said it was alopecia, but it was like a rare kind of alopecia cause it just all fell out immediately and came back years later," she recounts.

"Everywhere I went, I was made fun of — by kids my age, (at) church, (by) my siblings. And that’s when I really started to see myself as different."

Moriah reveals to her father during dinner that she has avoided discussing her alopecia with her family members throughout the years.

"Once I got my hair back, it was just like, 'OK, that's not me anymore. Let's forget about that.' You know, I asked everybody to just not talk about it," she explains.

"Right, but it's now OK to talk about it," he responds.

Moriah claims she begged her family members not to share images of her as a youngster or mention her situation in her confessional.

"I just wanted to completely block that as something that happened to me," she continues.

Barry Plath regrets not being able to protect Moriah Plath from getting bullied

During lunch, the reality star spends more time with her father. "That's what made me different from the beginning. It wasn't because you guys treated me differently," she explains.

"Did I treat you differently?" Barry inquires.

"I mean, I was different. You didn't treat me different," she claims.

The father of nine says he didn't believe his daughter was different, but he understands her situation.

"I think you and Mom were the only ones that actually told me I was beautiful," she continues.

"You remember that, right?" Barry inquires.

"Oh, I do," his daughter confirms.

Moriah claims she had a terrible time as a youngster after losing her hair. "For a while, I was angry because you guys couldn't fix it, and you were my parents, and you were supposed to fix it, but you couldn't," she recounts.

Barry responds, "We were all helpless." The reality star understands the bullying his daughter experienced and expresses regret that youngsters may be "cruel" to one another.

"The words really affected me," she admits.

"Yeah, well, they cut like knives sometimes," he replies.

Moriah Plath coped with alopecia with the help of fashion

Moriah then claims that the insults damaged her confidence. "I would look myself in the mirror, and I would say, 'You are ugly. Nobody will ever love you," she declares.

Moriah admits in her confessional that her passion for fashion helped her cope with that terrible era in her life.

"That was the hardest thing I struggled with, with how I saw myself. But if I had the right hat, the right dress, if I had the right clothes on that made me look cuter, then I wouldn't be teased as much, and people would treat me differently, or they'd treat me normally, what I thought was normally," she recalls, choking back tears.

According to the reality personality, she still finds comfort in clothes.

"Since then, I've always been like that. I've always been like, "Well, today's a bad day. I'm gonna go change my outfit. It's always been like that, and outfits have changed my life. If you have the right outfit on, you're gonna have a good day," she adds.

How does 'Welcome to Plathville' star Moriah Plath earn a living?

Moriah is a barman right now. In a December 2022 Instagram post, she disclosed how attending the Elite Bartending School helped her prepare for the profession.

Moriah has kept herself occupied ever since she graduated by working as a bartender at events while she attends "school for other things."

Moriah is a vocalist in addition to being a barman. After playing in The Plath Family Band, Moriah decided to pursue a solo singing career. The TLC star's first song, "Missed Myself," was made available in January 2022.

Additionally, she sought a career in acting and starred in the 2018 short film 'You Should Be There'. 'Welcome to Plathville' has featured Moriah on-screen since 2019, along with her parents and siblings.

Sharing sponsored Instagram photos from various businesses, such as Snow Teeth Whitening, is another way for Moriah to make money.

The television personality also earns additional money by making videos for Cameo users. A pre-recorded greeting from Moriah can be purchased for just $1, according to her page.

Is 'Welcome to Plathville' star Moriah Plath single?

Moriah from 'Welcome to Plathville' is blissfully single after a violent break-up with ex-boyfriend Max Kallschmidt, and she has no intentions to change her relationship status anytime soon! "If I dated right now, the universe would show me again that's a bad idea," Moriah exclusively told PEOPLE.

'Welcome to Plathville' Season 5 airs Tuesday at 10 pm EDT on TLC.