Yeyep is Your Go-to Source for All the Latest Entertainment News, from Movies and TV Shows to Music and Fashion.
⎯ 《 Yeyep • Com 》

How did Mark Goddard die? 'Lost in Space' star, 87, spent final days in hospice care

2023-10-14 10:45
'Lost in Space' star Mark Goddard recently celebrated his 87th birthday
How did Mark Goddard die? 'Lost in Space' star, 87, spent final days in hospice care

HINGHAM, MASSACHUSETTS: Mark Goddard, who was known for his roles in 'Lost in Space' and 'General Hospital', has died at the age of 87.

He died while under hospice care, after receiving a diagnosis for pulmonary fibrosis.

Goddard died peacefully while receiving care at Pat Roche Hospice Home in Hingham, Massachusetts.

Goddard received the devastating diagnosis after he was hospitalized with pneumonia days after his 87th birthday.

Goddard is survived by his third wife Evelyn Pezzulich and his producer daughter, Melissa Goddard.

Mark Goddard's wife Evelyn Pezzulich pens a heartfelt tribute

Mark Goddard's wife Evelyn Pezzulich mourned the death of her husband in a heartbreaking Facebook tribute.

Evelyn said in the statement, "I'm so sorry to tell you that my wonderful husband passed away on October 10th."

She added, "Several days after celebrating his 87th birthday [on July 24], he was hospitalized with pneumonia. We were hopeful when he was transferred to a rehabilitation center, but then doctors discovered he was in the final stages of pulmonary fibrosis for which there is no cure."

Evelyn elaborated, "He received excellent care at the beautiful Pat Roche Hospice Home and was able to die peacefully and with dignity."

She continued, "His children and I had the chance to express our love and say our goodbyes."

She concluded her tribute noting, "I'll never know how I deserved to spend 33 years with such a loving, gentle, handsome man who made me laugh so often."

Billy Mumy mourns the death of his 'Lost in Space' co-star Mark Goddard

Mark Goddard's 'Lost in Space' co-star Billy Mumy also penned a lengthy tribute for the late actor.

Billy recalled his final interaction with the late actor and their touching last words.

He shared on Facebook, "R.I.P. to Mark Goddard. A truly beloved friend and brother to me for 59 years."

He added, "I knew this was coming for the past few months. Shortly after a great phone chat he and I had on his 87th birthday in late July, I became aware that I would most likely never see or speak with him again."

He further revealed, "The last words we exchanged were 'I love you.'"

Billy added, "Mark was a truly fine actor. Naturally gifted as well as trained. I know he sometimes felt constricted by the campy frame that 'LIS' [Lost in Space] constrained him within, but he also embraced and loved it."

Mark Goddard became a household name with his role as Major Don West

Mark Goddard became a household name with his iconic role as Major Don West in the intergalactic show, 'Lost in Space'.

The series, which aired from 1965 to 1968, followed the fantastic adventures of the Robinson family, space colonists aboard the Jupiter 2 piloted by Goddard’s character.

Meanwhile, according to The Hollywood Reporter, Goddard recalled seeing himself in his silver lame spacesuit for the first time in his 2008 memoir To Space and Back.

He wrote, "I took a deep breath, took a second look at the image of a wrapped aluminium baked potato and said to myself, ‘How the hell did this happen?'"

Tags news