Yeyep is Your Go-to Source for All the Latest Entertainment News, from Movies and TV Shows to Music and Fashion.
⎯ 《 Yeyep • Com 》

Who is Brock Coylar? Sara Ramirez slams journo, claims interview mocked their 'thoughtfulness'

2023-08-25 16:21
Brock Colyar, who is non-binary themself, said that many viewers found the controversial Che Diaz to be 'a hyperbolized, hypercringe representation of nonbinary identity'
Who is Brock Coylar? Sara Ramirez slams journo, claims interview mocked their 'thoughtfulness'

NEW YORK CITY, NEW YORK: Brock Coylar, a New York Magazine journalist and recipient of the 2023 ASME Next Award for Journalists Under 30, was slammed by the non-binary ‘And Just Like That’ star Sara Ramirez for mocking them (Ramirez goes by the pronouns they/them) in an article published in The Cut.

Ramirez has not taken kindly to the interview conducted by Coylar for the article published in June 2023, where the journalist has claimed the 47-year-old non-binary actor holds several similar opinions as the character of Che Diaz which they play in the ‘Sex and The City’ spinoff ‘AJLT’.

What did Sara Ramirez say about The Cut article?

The ‘Grey’s Anatomy’ star slammed the journalist by writing a long post on her social media account.

“Been thinking long and hard about how to respond to The Hack Job’s article, “written” by a white gen z non-binary person who asked me serious questions but expected a comedic response I guess (?),” wrote Ramirez.

They further wrote scathingly, “Here’s the good news: I have a dry sense of humor and a voice. And I am not afraid to use either.”

Castigating the author of the article for mocking their “thoughtfulness and softness,” Ramirez wrote, “I trust that those of you who matter, who are not petulant children, who are smart enough to catch on to what was actually going on there, can perceive it for what it is: an attempt to mock my thoughtfulness and softness, while dismissing a valid existence and real human being in favor of tv show critiques that belonged elsewhere.”

They stated boldly, “I am not the fictional characters I have played, nor am I responsible for the things that are written for them to say.”

They continued, “I am a human being, an artist, an actor,” while claiming, “And we are living in a world that has become increasingly hostile toward anyone who dares to free themselves from the gender binary, or disrupt the mainstream.”

The ‘Madam Secretary’ star then went on to deliver “some friendly reminders” with the first being, “I can love women (and I do), while not identifying as one,” wrote Ramirez.

They continued, “Feminists come in all genders,” before adding, “When a cis man is in charge and has ultimate control of dialogue actors say, and you have a valid problem with it, perhaps you should be interviewing him.”

They added at the end, “Further proof that this “writer” knows little more about me than a Google search provides, I would have happily smoked that joint with them.”

In the end, Ramirez concluded by thanking the team that helped them with the photographs.

Brock Colyar calls Sara Ramirez's Che Diaz to be 'a hyperbolized, hypercringe representation of nonbinary identity'

Ever since Ramirez’s character of Che Diaz induced Cynthia Nixon’s Miranda to explore her sexuality while causing a divorce with the character’s on-screen husband, Che has not found much love among the audience.

The character, who describes themselves as a “queer nonbinary Mexican Irish diva,” co-hosts a podcast in the show called 'X, Y and Me' where they discuss “gender roles, sexual roles, and cinnamon rolls.”

While the character of Che has been at the receiving end of immense hatred, Colyar claims in the article that Ramirez too had quite a similarity with the onscreen role.

Colyar, after meeting Ramirez in New York’s Central Park, wrote about their conversation in The Cut and said, “Ramírez similarly uses words such as trauma, privilege, and social constructs to make their various on-point points.”

The journalist continued, “It might feel natural to make such comparisons in your head, but Ramírez heads them off, assuring me, "I’m an actor. I’m not the characters I play. I’m not Che Diaz."”

Colyar further claimed that when Ramirez was asked about the criticism of Che’s character, they met with resistance, reports Daily Mail.

“Ramírez waves away the side-eyes about Che, saying, "Anybody who benefits from patriarchy is going to have a problem with Che Diaz,"the journalist wrote in the article.

Colyar, who is non-binary themself, said that many viewers found the controversial Che Diaz to be “a hyperbolized, hypercringe representation of nonbinary identity.”

However, the journalist wrote that Ramirez supported the character by saying it is “exciting to have Che be a disruption to the mainstream.”

They added, “We had been experiencing the mass mobilization for anti-racism for George Floyd.”

“So being aware of how important disruption is, being aware of how important it is to wake people up from the sleep of their own comfort and privilege, was so important to me that summer,” Colyar continued to quote Ramirez.

Tags news epcelebs