Yeyep is Your Go-to Source for All the Latest Entertainment News, from Movies and TV Shows to Music and Fashion.
⎯ 《 Yeyep • Com 》

Taika Waititi won't return to direct Thor 5

2023-11-15 16:27
'Thor: Love and Thunder' filmmaker Taika Waititi has confirmed he won't be involved in a potential 'Thor 5' movie.
Taika Waititi won't return to direct Thor 5

Taika Waititi won't be involved in 'Thor 5'.

The 48-year-old filmmaker - who directed 'Thor: Ragnarok' and 'Thor: Love and Thunder', while also co-writing the latter - has confirmed he isn't returning for a potential next instalment in the Marvel franchise as he looks to focus on other projects.

Asked about reports a fifth film is being developed, Waititi - who helmed the last two movies in the series - told Business Insider: "I wouldn't know if that's accurate. I know that I won't be involved."

Instead, he explained he will focus on other projects he's already got in the pipeline.

He added: "I'm going to concentrate on these other films that I've signed on for."

As well as a movie adaptation of Alejandro Jodorowsky's graphic novel 'The Incal', his own 'Star Wars' movie is "still marinating" as he continues to develop the project.

Before those, he's also planning to adapt Kazuo Ishiguro's novel 'Klara and the Sun' - which follows the titular robot, who is designed to prevent loneliness in teenagers - as his next film.

He admitted: "So that's six, seven years gone. I'd imagine another 'Thor' would be a lot sooner than that.

"But I love Marvel, I love working with them. I love Chris [Hemsworth]."

If the studio and Hemsworth decided to push on with another 'Thor' film without Waititi being involved, he has insisted there would be no ill will.

He laughed: "I would never feel like they are cheating on me.

"We're in an open relationship, and it's like if they want to see other people, I'm happy for that. I'd still get back into bed with them one day."

In the meantime, Waititi is open to new and unexpected ideas, such as new film 'Next Goal Wins', which tells the story of Michael Fassbender as Dutch-American coach Thomas Rongen as he looks to improve the results of the American Samoa national football team – ranked as one of the weakest teams on the planet.

Discussing how he never thought he’d make a sports movie, he recently told Empire magazine: “Especially not about a sport that I’m not passionate about.

“I love watching the games, I just don’t follow any teams, I don’t care about who’s playing.

“My main thing was to represent the players and the people of the Pacific Islands more."